1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Vehicle Freedom Act - 2020

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Feb 6, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Levin, Ocasio-Cortez bill would create national network of EV chargers

Washington — U.S. Reps. Andy Levin, D-Bloomfield Township, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., unveiled legislation Thursday that would require the establishment of a "comprehensive, nationwide network of high-speed" electric-car chargers within five years.

The measure, known as the Electric Vehicle Freedom Act, directs the U.S. Departments of Transportation and Energy to devise a plan for establishing a network of chargers on the interstate highway system that are capable of fully powering up a plug-in vehicle in the same amount of time it takes to fill up the tank of a gas or diesel car.

Levin said it's time expand on the idea of the interstate highway system "and bring America’s infrastructure into the 21st century. "
    . . .

As long as it doesn't choose 'winners' and 'losers', no problem. For example, allocate the plugs by annual vehicle sales:
    • Supercharger
    • CCS-1
    • CHAdeMO
    It should also include a one-for-one mix of maximum current, 80 A, J1772 EVSE. These can be used to get fast DC charging cars off the fast DC chargers. It also encourages higher rate, built in L2 chargers.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably a rush job. why not promote ev's, chargers, the grid and renewables at the same time?

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because politics is messy.
    There is already a federal program promoting plug ins directly, and the recent attempt to open it back up for Tesla and GM with a time limit was defeated.
    Grid upgrades is covered to varying degrees under other laws. Same with renewable promotion, though there is more coal promotion now.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That will fully charge an EV in 5 minutes?
    They are mandating it take the same time as filling up with gasoline.

That reminds me of when California mandated zero emission vehicles that were not technically feasible and then backed off to create the nonsense named "partial zero emission vehicles".

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose nothing is likely to pass until at least 2025

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm....
    So what is this REALLY?
    Smoke? Mirrors? Something tangible?
    I would think everyone would like the tangible creation of a nationwide electric vehicle charging infrastructure. But what IS this act exactly?

I'm suspicious.
    The first action of this "act" is to direct the Department of Transportation and Energy to devise a plan.
    So step one is....Go think about this.....

Plus the second part...these charging stations must be capable of charging a electric vehicle in the same amount of time as filling up a gasoline or diesel vehicle?
    Does this technology even exist? At what cost? And as always happens with nice ideas, and even NOT so nice ideas, it boils down to who would pay for this?

The cynic in me thinks that eventually it won't be a devised plan, or a passed measure that really creates the electric vehicles charging station infrastructure this country will need as we move towards a more, and more EV dominated future.
    It will be that entity that figures out how to best make money from the existence and operation of Electric Vehicle Charging stations.

But in the meantime?
    Sure devise a plan. Let's look at what existing technology can do, and can not do...it's all first steps.

Trollbait likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody’s friend needs a consulting job.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ox likes writing bills that are over the top, it’s a good way to set up your presidential resume