1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

electric water pump

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tombukt2, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I have my electric water pump out of the car again this is a replacement I also have the original Nippon denso both side by side. The replacement that I bought is a nippondenso but it must be a second. Other than the metal front case. This thing is essentially built just like a front load washing machine pump out pump I mean it's almost exactly internally looks like what goes on my Whirlpool Duet. Very cheaply made and this replacement that I bought is already kind of locked up I can barely turn the impeller so I took the plastic tabs out of the plastic plate and pull the whole mess apart and all the plastic that's wrapped around the magnetic part that spins is all cracking and splitting and causing the impeller not to be able to spin smoothly in the hole when the magnets activated or whatever goes on here absolutely terrible My original nippon denso unit turns freely and when I plug it in and hook up tech and hit the button to make it spin 3,000 it looks like it's spinning 3,000 by my electric tach. So I'm reinstalling the original for now I don't know why tec thought it was failing.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're going to DIY repairs, you can experiment with cheaper parts. But if you are paying for labor, best not to use anything inferior so you don't have to repeat the repair

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I would agree somewhat I mean I bought this water pump and you can see where the Asian logo has been scraped off so it looks like these things are all made in one or two factories and whatever doesn't pass quality control or whatever and gets ground and thrown in another bin but it just looks to me like what mainly fails here is the plastic wrap around the impeller magnet which pulls right off the unit so whether it gets overheated and deformed or whether something else is going on It looks like that's one of the main things that causes the fail and slow turning The plastic comes undone off the impeller circle starts getting jammed in between the magnet and the space it runs in and starts dragging

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Doesn't seem really cheaply made internally The two boards look identical as far as the soldering thickness opaqueness and all that

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lots of reports of counterfeits selling for low cost. What better way to counterfeit than to make it look like a second with the name scrapped off? 99% it is a cheap knockoff.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You should see the pictures from the inside of this thing I have an Asian branded one apart and this looks to be in Asian branded one with the logo ground off looks like it was done with a die grinder or something not even clean but when I disassemble the two pieces and the two units they're all they're exact even the impellers if you flip them over have the same markings and manufacturer name on them I have pictures of this close up 48 megapixel so maybe so cheap don't know about that both the impellers from both units look the same they are covered with plastic if you pull the o-ring up off the shaft you can pull the impeller right out of the housing it's very similar to a washing machine drain pump what slowing the thing down and not giving me the RPMs is the plastic sleeve has swollen and burst around the back of the impeller so now when it drops into the hole it swollen up and it interferes with the plastic so it can't spin unless I turn it real hard the motor certainly not going to do it It doesn't even make contact with anything it's just magnetic but be that as it may this is not an electrical problem it doesn't look like it looks like the plastic gets too hot and breaks even on the Asian branded one so I guess that's what happens after time is the plastic bursts no matter whose it is and then that pretty much does it in what it looks like

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for furthering this conversation... I bet the failing of the plastic is mostly because it's not designed for high temperature use and maybe partly additives in the coolant that are harder on it than just water. The challenge for a better cheaper pump is something that's not going to fail when it starts running hot. I wonder if you replaced the plastic with stainless steel if that'd make it work?

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes and apparently it's happening to the cheaper one and the real Asian Toyota model one when I pull the impellers out of ones that look like you know similar mileage or something like similar use or what have you if I pull the pull the o-ring off and pull the impeller towards me and take it out that plastic that's wrapped over the magnet or whatever that is on back of the impeller is all cracked and the fubar I wonder if I can just peel it off and not even have the plastic on there and stick it back in the hole and then the clearance will be correct and it won't rub and it'll spin maybe I should try that just to see. But with the impellers having the same logo and name on them I have to believe that both companies are using the same parts or only one company is making this particular part or something weird