1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical Charging Cost? Help

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 13Plug, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK so I "filled up" my PHV with fuel today, it was down to 2 pips and I figured it was time.

I'm trying to figure out what my actual cost to charge is, can you help? The EV driving ratio screen shows I used 44 kwh (and saved 14.0L of fuel by plugging in).

My electric bill for last month was a total with taxes of $<removed> for 962 kWh of household consumption (I have one power meter).

The base charge of 1 kWh is $0.10610 but I'd like to figure out the total cost of the 44 kWh, is it basically 44 * 0.10610? Is it really that simple or are there charging losses, etc?

**EDIT** Let's make it easy and use my base kWh charge. Due to taxes, a base charge for providing the service, a green power charge, a municipal surcharge, etc., I realized it's not accurate to take the total bill after all the extra charges (it's close but not exact).

How do I do that? Thx.

p.s. In case you care my first "fillup" is on fuelly @ 2013-Plugin-Prius (Toyota Prius Plug-in) | Fuelly - I don't intend to continue using fuelly though as it doesn't track my electrical consumption. I e-mailed them about it, don't worry.

JMD and priuskitty like this.
  2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually your cost is $142.18/962kwh=.147796257 cents per kwh so, 44kwh times .147796257=$6.503035308

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    whether you want to add connect charges to the cost of charging the car is up to you but realize that connect charge applies whether you plug your car in or not. I dont include it since it does not really count. i would apply what ever taxes you pay on the power used

as far as whether your power used is "wall to wheels" (power from the wall which is what you pay for and how far it takes you) verses "well to wheels" which is the power from the battery (which will be less than what comes from the wall due to conversion losses both coming into the battery and going out) and how far it takes you

I dont have a PiP so dont know what the 44 kwh is measured from. If you are serious about tracking how much it cost, get a "kill a watt" meter. it will tell you how much power is taken from the wall so there is no guess work involved. its like $20. That is what I used with my LEAF when I did 120 volt charging

4. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a Kill-A-Watt but haven't been using it because I use a heavy duty block heater mechanical timer which would also draw power, and the KaW doesn't fit to connect into that timer.

Anywho, let's just say the 44 kWh is accurate so I'll say 44 x 0.10610 = $4.67 + taxes = $5.37.

So to continue, I didn't burn 14.0L of gas which would have cost me $15.39. I had a net savings of $10.02 in fuel in just under 2 weeks. Nice, but don't make me figure out the "payback" period because I don't care LOL.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you are measuring your kWh on the PiP dash, you should probably multiply it by 1.15 to account for charging losses. That is a swag since there are factors that influence it like temperature and what state of charge you started and ended at.

I have been plugging in my grossed up kWh on fuelly, using 33.7 kWh = 1 gallon.
    To set the gallon price for your electric rates, use $3.57557 / gallon (33.7 * $0.10610)

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    13Plug; I am glad you are enjoying your new car. two things to keep in mind;

there are a dozen ways to generate electricity, only one way to make gasoline.

There will come a time when no amount of money will increase the flow of oil. Whine all you want about the high cost of renewable energy but keep in mind, it will ALWAYS be here.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

its all going to be different from car to car but on my LEAF when charging with 120 volts, 12 amps, my efficiency to the wheels from the wall was about 75%. when charging with 240 volt, 12 amps its about 85%. with 240 volt, 16 amps about 89%. The LEAF does need more power and does provide cooling for the inverter, charger etc that I am guessing is more robust than what the Prius has.

8. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have no idea what you're referring to.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a round about to your referral to no pay back for the pip.:)

10. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think my comments were taken the wrong way. I wasn't whining about prices nor saying there was no payback period. Oh well, I'm OK just dropping it. :)

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe what Dave is saying is Oil is finite, once it's used up, that it. but renewable energy is not "finite":D

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the comment was not directed to you specifically, just the audience in general.

you are headed in the right direction. too many people get caught in ROI and how long its going to take. What we fail to realize is that we dont know the true cost of continuing to burn oil but guessing it will be a lot higher than we can pay.

it will take decades to move away from ALL uses for oil so we really need to conserve the oil we got for those special applications. IMM, using oil for personal transportation is the first thing to tackle. Every day, over 90% of the miles driven could easily be done on electric. Sure, we will still need a Smoker for that long trip but for most of us, that happens less than a dozen times a year.

What does happen for nearly all of us nearly every day is the need to go a distance that is well within the typical EV range.

my statement basically says that when the oil is gone, it will be too late to say "oh sorry, didnt mean it" or "oh no, do over!"

hindsight is great but foresight is what will help smooth the way and you have to admit; if the Sun stops shining and the wind stops blowing, I dont think we will need to go anywhere anyway

priuskitty likes this.
  14. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That depends on the time frame. The Universe will eventually convert all available energy to heat and that will be the end of everything. :)

15. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like what happens on 12-12-2012?:eek:

16. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You mean tomorrow.

17. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tonight, I'll be up:cool:

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why are we still alive?

19. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    parallel universe:cool:

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the day has barely begun. give the powers that may be time to wake up and have some coffee