1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical connector for water pump

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Daniel912010, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Daniel912010

Daniel912010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does anyone know where to buy an adapter or connector for the prius water pump 20160416_113840.jpg 20160416_113922.jpg

2. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Now, that's annoying. Wish I could help ... I guess a call to the dealer on Monday? I had to get a connector/ harness from a junk yard a couple years ago. Some manufacturers have them available -- like MB .. others are really bad.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your wiring diagram manual has the part numbers for the connector shells (though it will also have a note that not all possible shell part numbers are orderable). So far I haven't had trouble looking up a shell part number and ordering it, either at the local dealer or one of the online ones. Generally it won't be in stock at the local dealer so there will be shipping time involved either way.

As for the metal connector terminal inside the shell, the wiring diagram manual doesn't have those part numbers (at least my 2001 doesn't, maybe they've added that info in later ones) but the dealer part counter person can look them up after you give the part number for the shell.

The way Toyota sells the terminals (at the dealer part counter) is: already crimped onto a few inches of the wrong color wire, which means you don't need a special crimp tool, and you're able to cut out up to a few inches of damaged old wire and make a splice further back on the harness.

If you have a crimp tool and you would rather just crimp a new terminal on the wire for a less goofy looking job, you're sort of out of luck ... the Toyota parts counter won't sell you just the terminal. At least, they won't sell me just the terminal. So, I go to my local independent auto electric shop and buy the plain terminal from him. He says he buys them from the dealer ... same one who won't sell them to me. :)

-Chap

Edit: the diagram manual also has pictures showing how the shell's retention catches work, so you can get the old terminals out and the new ones in. For some of the shell designs it's pretty self-evident, and for some of the others, not so much, but there's always a way.

#3 ChapmanF, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. Ksolgallegos

Ksolgallegos New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Daniel, I seem to have the same problem! Did you ever figure it out?