1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical contact question -- kitchen cooktop

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Sep 5, 2017.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the factory, our insurance company sent technicians once a year to do infrared surveys of every electrical connection in the plant. And that's a lot of connections. They took infrared pictures, so each picture covered a bunch of connections.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where I work (and have worked previously), they IR'ed the switch gear panels, electric panels and junction boxes.

But every electrical connection in a facility:eek:.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  3. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As close to all of them as they could. It went fairly quick with a camera, but there was alwasy a pile of pictures for us to investigate and deal with.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, thanks for all the replies to this.

Finally, got the new cooktop on Thursday. Only $200 more than "fixing" the cracked cooktop would have been. The LOCAL independent shop gave me a steep discount, originally and then even more once it took more than a month to get the new cooktop.

So, as Chapman mentioned in the long detailed and quite good report. I have some strange looking connectors that need a torque wrench.

Here's a look at the them specifically. Made by Polaris, out of Florida. Mine are the black model. However, all through the Polaris Web site, they say these things need a hex key.

I just pried off the caps, and my have the standard slotted screwdriver tops in them. Did the electrician swap them out....why?

I have gotten a bit scared of this whole thing. I am going to check on Monday and see if the original electrician can come out and do it. Would not suppose, even with travel time, it would take him anymore than an hour. Twenty minutes to get here. Twenty back and 15 minutes on the job.

But, then again. Maybe these are easy to USE? Are the original ones that are now on there reusable. I would think so....

I am on the fence....:rolleyes:

http://www.polarisconnectors.com/pdfs/NSi/IT_series.pdf

[​IMG]

#24 cyberpriusII, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those are said to be dual rated, AL9CU, so ought to be suitable, and easy to reuse, as long as you (a) have a good low-range torque wrench, (b) have the right size hex key (pop out the little rubber plug over the barrel you'll be reusing, to see the hex head underneath), and (c) can find the right torque specification.

I don't see the torque specs in the 2-page pdf you linked to. You'll probably have to figure out just which size Polaris Black you've got, and what wire gauge you're attaching to it, and find some longer document at their web site to look up the right torque.

I'm sure I don't have to mention that you'll want the circuit OFF back at the panel before taking your tools to these, but I'd hate to have forgotten to say it.

-Chap

Edit: I think this is probably the chart:

http://www.polarisconnectors.com/pdfs/LUG INSTALLATION INSTRUCTI0NS.pdf

I'm guessing you've got one of their two smallest connector products (the 1/0 or the #4), so if you look at the wire you are connecting and it is (say) #8, you would tighten a 1/0 connector to 45 inch-pounds, or a #4 connector to 25 inch-pounds.

N.B. those are inch-pounds, not foot-pounds.

But you should make sure yourself of the sizes you are working with.

-Chap

Edit: also, scour the installation instructions for your cooktop to see if it has requirements of its own, like this (from a random KitchenAid cooktop instructions on the web):

al.png

In other words they (these KitchenAid folks, anyway) probably have stranded wire coming from their cooktop and don't want you running that straight into your AL9CU connector, but want you to join to some solid copper wire first, then join that to the aluminum. Your installation instructions may vary.

-Chap

#25 ChapmanF, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Chap for the help.

As I mentioned, I pried the caps off the connectors and instead of hex screws, it looks like the electrician replaced the hex screws with standard slotted screws. I was wondering why, but then thought that maybe he did not have something suitable to measure torque with a hex wrench, but had a standard torque screwdriver.

Just hope he used the right screws!

He had also wrapped all the Polaris connectors in a double layer of electrical tape, which was a sticky mess.

One question -- I guess I do not need the special lubricant I bought to coat the wires, but it would not hurt if I used it, right?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, guess I read too fast and missed that. But hey, looking at the pdf catalog page you linked (did you change that link? doesn't seem to be the same page I got before), it looks like if you've got an IT-4 connector, the screws would be slotted, in contrast to the IT-4A with the 1/8" hex.

I've been there, and sympathize.

Right.

-Chap

RCO likes this.
  8. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EEEKKKK!

I finally got the old cooktop out. And unpacked the NEW cooktop.

And...

aluminium

The new cooktop has all aluminium wiring! Or at least they are all silver colored.

RCO likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You say aluminium in Oregon? I've always liked saying aluminium.

Tinned copper wires are also silver colored. You can use a nail file or something to make a little nick and see if there is copper color underneath. And/or scour the installation manual to see what it says about them.

If they were really aluminium, I would expect to see that mentioned prominently somewhere.

-Chap

RCO, bwilson4web and Trollbait like this.
  10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about the wires. As I tried to seat the new cooktop into the cutout, it did not fit.

Part of the reason I went with the new GE cooktop was their "it will fit" guarantee. Guess I will find out if they honor their words.

This thing has been "interesting."
    kris

RCO likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is altering the cutout out of the question? I trust there's a flange around the top of the cooktop that will conceal your handiwork if not perfect. Would the dimensions of the top, otherwise, fit between the other appliances or whatever else is adjacent?

-Chap

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pictures?

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You have no idea about how many PriusChatters are trying to figure out how to ‘visit’ with our ‘toys.’

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a bit of a "take the path less traveled" person. I do not have a smart phone. So, taking a pix of the installation is not all that easy.

I used to have a Canon digital camera. But, I think I lost it in a snow storm several years ago. Nothing like sliding down a hill in an uncontrolled panic to make you lose your camera.

So, the countertop is granite. GE Fit guarantee will pay a whopping $100 to make it fit. The local granite guy charges $250.

I did the best I could with the local granite guy. I actually paid him to install the countertop several years ago - to make the old top fit. It looks like he may take a few centavos off the price. Not sure how much. When he gets here, we will see.

Not too happy at the moment.
    kris

RCO likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was just curious. Old school (learned drafting in high school,) I would make a presentation sketch using OpenOffice with dimensions BUT that assumes sharing with our community might help.
    Ok, now we know what to get you for the upcoming holidays. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

#35 bwilson4web, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I reckon we're all rallying around you emotionally, albeit from a distance. No thanks required for this by the way.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got new cooktop into the granite. I ended up swapping out two standard hex head sheet metal screws, which were hanging up on the granite, for two panhead screws, so it just barely slid home.

So, have cooktop in place. "Electric boy" does not want to come out to fasten wires. Can't say I blame him. Our little homestead is a far piece out.

I really think I can handle the wiring. I would just like to use the same connectors that were used originally. The Polaris. However, no one around here sells them to "real people."

And, I could try to reuse the original. They, however are extremely sticky from being wrapped in electric tape, and I am also not too sure the screws will stand a second tightening session without the head stripping out.

So, if I went for new ones, I would have to "order them."

Chap said:
    I'm guessing you've got one of their two smallest connector products (the 1/0 or the #4), so if you look at the wire you are connecting and it is (say) #8, you would tighten a 1/0 connector to 45 inch-pounds, or a #4 connector to 25 inch-pounds.

I have no idea what sort of wire I am using. It is just standard copper from the cooktop (12 or 10 gauge?) and then the wire from the panel.

Is there someway I can figure out what polaris connectors I need to order?

Again, thanks all for your help and your calm with my stupid questions. Have been working on this since August. I suppose another few weeks without a cooktop will not hurt. Although I would sort of like it working by Christmas.

Kris

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a link to a calculator if you can measure the bare wire. If it's stranded wire, you'll want to make sure it hasn't been untwisted so that it's the same diameter as it was inside the insulation.

Wire Gauge & Diameter Calculotor

If you don't already have something to measure it and there's a Harbor Freight in the general vicinity, you can get a digital caliper cheaply from them. This is the one I have:
    Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers
    It comes in handy any time to need to measure the diameter of something that will fit in the jaws.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got the thing done. I did forget to put the small discs that cover the screws back on. OPPS, but I did dutifully wrap each Polaris in electrical tape, so I do not suppose there is any issue.

I would take a pix, but as I have said before, I do not have a smart phone and I lost my camera a few years ago. So, only three months to get this fixed!!

THANKS ALL OF YOU>

If you look the round discs at the top are what I forgot. Oh, well...

[​IMG]
    kris

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    YEA! Dinner tonight @cyberpriusII !

Bob Wilson

RCO, jerrymildred and cyberpriusII like this.