1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

electrical/cruise problem? car stops responding to accelerator, have to power off and power back on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JMDlakdjfhg, May 11, 2017.

1. JMDlakdjfhg

JMDlakdjfhg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After the car has been on cruise control for about 20 minutes, all of the dashboard lights flash on like a christmas tree, and the car stops responding to the accelerator. we have to pull off the road, power off the car, and power back on before the accelerator will work again. obviously this is not safe.

I booted into the systems diagnostic screen to check the voltage and it looks healthy - 12.2 resting, down to 11.5 during ignition, and 14 v when the car is running.

any ideas what could be going on here? toyota said it's possible that the computer is not getting the required voltage to operate in a healthy manner. but the diagnostic numbers seem to indicate that the battery is healthy.

any insight would be appreciated.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My opinion only, but I think 11.5 is marginal at best. A healthy 12 v car battery should never go below 12v, especially since a Prius battery doesn't crank the engine, but is only used for auxiliaries

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota said that? Without plugging in Techstream and reading the trouble codes?

That should be step one. When those lights come on, that means there are trouble codes that have been logged in the car's computers, and they are severe enough to trigger the self-protection mode that you keep overriding by power-cycling the car. It may not take long to compound the damage that way.

What you think of as the systems diagnostic screen on the center panel is mostly for the entertainment and nav if you have it; it does not have general access to diagnostic codes from all the car's computers. That takes plugging into the diagnostic port, something Toyota should have done right away, before waving their hands and guessing.

-Chap

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A soft 12 volt battery does not make the car shut off during driving. During driving its on the dc-dc converter and the system is seeing the charging voltage which is usually around 13-14 volts. You can disconnect the battery while the car is running it does not care.

11.5 volts on a 12 is very very low but still has enough power usually to boot up a Prius.
    My own oem battery was 11.5 for quite a while.
    If it falls below 11.2 volts the dash will throw a big red caution sign momentarily on boot up.
    That's the only warning you get. It's quite noticeable as it's the only light not used in ignition bulb check routine. I saw it on my car when my soft oem finally cratered 7 years later.

SFO likes this.