1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical issues after rear end, several

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brandon Kennedy, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Brandon Kennedy

Brandon Kennedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello.

so this is definitely an interesting one…

I was rear ended 3-4 months ago.. shop had to paint it 6 times to finally get paint blended right and correct color (blizzard pearl).

anyways, the car is having issues with with mostly convenience features, but some ecu issues.

the wreck involved me replacing rear bumper, and the c pillars were caved in about the size of a baseball. Reinforcement bar was replaced. Bout $3,000 in damages; nothing terrible. It did cause the air bag light to have to be recalibrated at Toyota.

honestly the wreck didn’t feel that bad to me. But after picking the vehicle up, the car has so much not working on it.

heat/air controller won’t come on, windows won’t work all around, daytime running lights won’t work, automatic headlights won’t work, but will work if turned on (this and the interior lights both cut off driving, then started working again). Ambient air sensor not working shows an E on the dash. radiator fan stays on full blast, grille shutter will not work. OBD port will not work. The car will not remember the time and it keeps resetting driver settings like eco mode normal mode or pwr mode. Battery is new and tests good.

They have replaced the daytime running lights, fuse Keeps blowing after about 60 seconds. Toyota is supposed to be getting the main person over the whole east end of the United States out to check it, but could be months.

I’m wondering if body control module, or ecu could of got out of wack from the impact or it jarred something? Pinched wire somewhere? I just don’t understand how all this is going on… but it sucks. I’ve been without it for almost 4 months now

Pictures uploaded of wreck on scene, barely hurt, and when the bumper was off (with the new Toyota impact bars installed etc.)

And then the final outcome of the car

this has been a nightmare and I’m really wondering what in the world could even be going on

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For some reason, people commonly want to think "ECU out of whack" whenever anything unexplained is going on, and usually the explanation turns out to be something a lot more pedestrian.

An issue like this could take a while, but it's mostly a matter of the wiring diagram (more info), a multimeter, tools for getting trim and carpet out of the way, and patience.

vvillovv likes this.
  3. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Oh I agree with you. Tell the master techs at Toyota that lol. I’ve been without it forever, quite annoying. But I’m posting here to see if anyone has any decent ideas.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The wiring diagram, multimeter, and tracking down the problems idea will probably be pretty hard to beat.

5. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    if only a Toyota Mastertech knew that. Guess they either Havnt went that route or avoiding it.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mostly likely avoiding it. Notice the last important ingredient I mentioned is patience. Not in plentiful supply for dealership mechanics working on the clock, and even if they have it, often the customers paying their hourly rates won't.

... that's why there are certain kinds of problems that are especially good candidates for DIY.

7. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    not my job to trace it down. It’s most likely due to the wreck, insurance can pay it out. I shouldn’t of been rear ended.

this car never had issues, so I’m bout 99% sure this is wreck related

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I'd also bet it's wreck related. As long as the issues can be tracked down and repaired within what the insurance company considers the value of the car, it's all good.

Brandon Kennedy likes this.
  9. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Electrical problems (when not intermittent) are pretty easy to diagnose by any competent technician or even DIY if you work methodically. In your case, might be only two issues that were probably created either by the accident or damaged during poor repair.
    1. There is a short to ground on the headlights/DRL circuit that blows the fuse.
    2. There is an open probably on a ground or harness shared by the remaining systems that do not work.

10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t have much to add about repair techniques: as @ChapmanF and @Aegean kindly mentioned, there’s no real substitute for methodical diagnosis and repair, informed by the Repair Manual and Electrical Wiring Diagram. The symptoms you mentioned don’t strike me as having an obvious common cause, but that’s not to say they couldn’t all be caused by damage to multiple wires in one bundle, for example.

If it were my car, I’d probably start with the Data Link Connector 3 (DLC3) (also used for OBD II), to get its power, ground, and CAN bus connection to the Network Gateway ECU working. I’d then use a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system to poll the car’s other ECUs, one by one, to confirm that the other CAN buses are intact and to get whatever information those ECUs might provide about the observed failures and, perhaps, other problems that haven’t yet been noticed. Toyota recommends a Techstream scan before and after all collision repairs; see Collision Repair Information Bulletin 2016-191, “Scanning for Electrical System Faults.”

vvillovv and Brandon Kennedy like this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check for bad grounds/connections; specifically those that may have been painted over then attached to the paint.

12. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I want to first thank everyone for the replies!

I really didn’t want to attempt to tackle this as a DIY, but I may tackle or attempt to tackle some of this stuff. I do wiring for solar systems, and know how to do house wiring, but I have never been good at tracking wiring down, or finding where a break is or where it’s shorting etc…

I guess that is what has put me off from this, the other part of it, is I’m terrified of the amount of wired this car has… because it is basically fully loaded…

I know I have bmw dealership software, I had to pay $100 to get it on a hard drive. How easy is it to obtain the tech stream software and diagnose the vehicle?

I guess it’ll basically point me where the issue is, or which circuit or wire I’m needing to “inspect”?

thanks again so much. This will definitely be a task or journey for me, that I’m not 100% comfortable with, but I’ll attempt it if I can, or atleast some of the parts I feel comfortable tackling.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Techstream software per se won't do all that much to help you locate the damage, other than (as Elektroingenieur suggested) giving you a bit of a start by letting you find out whether any of the car's ECUs have noticed anything useful, or whether there are any of the car's ECUs that you can't connect with (which, in a more indirect way, also gives you useful information).

The tools that are really going to help with tracking the damage down will be the wiring diagram and the repair manual; I would be very hesitant to dive into a project like this before arranging access to them.

As luck would have it, you find both of those the same place you find (official downloads of) Techstream, as described more fully on this wiki page that Elektroingenieur kindly constructed.

14. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Alright downloaded tech stream. Now just have to flash my obd connector to get it to work… and wait for my car to get out of being detailed back, once I get it back I can attempt to connect to it and follow up with whatever errors tech stream finds, and hopefully be able to trace down the issues it’s having.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looking forward to updates....

16. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well, it won’t flash my obd 2 connector to connect from the car to the pc… so, I’m probably going to have to order a cable specific for this process, and then flash the software.

I have a good feeling I know where the pinched wires are… looks like the wiring runs up right there at the c pillar where it caved in on both sides… I bet that is where it’s shorting or is causing issues…

tried to hook my self driving tool back up
    Through the obd 2, fuse blew again… which is expected because I’ve not traced anything but I figured I’d use it again if I could until I figure this out…

I may try to tamper around with the obd 2 tool again n keep finessing it, might get it to download and flash the software at some point n not have to order one.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What kind of insurance do you have?

18. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Was progressive. I’ve dropped them since then. The person who’s hit me is with Trexis. All insurance companies are a scam anyways. My car burned n progressive is doing everything they can to not pay out. I won’t ever own insurance again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just wanted to update this issue. Was using a comma 2 ai for self driving. Turns out it had a short, which caused it to blow the ecu ig 2 fuse, ecu ig 4 fuse, and obd 2 fuse. This in turn caused every single issue I was having…

Toyota of Morristown tn didn’t figure out a thing, and was a joke to say the least. However Toyota of Knoxville found this issue and didn’t charge me a penny. Even though their tech hooked up tech stream and spent a solid hour with the car.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Every now and then we get a thread that could be a poster child for "pertinent information left out of original post". :D

MIkeDr likes this.