1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical problem, delayed ignition

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sjones8888, May 22, 2008.

1. sjones8888

sjones8888 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    For about a year, I have been disconnecting the positive terminal of my battery because I was needing a jump after only 7-10 days without starting the car (2002 Prius). I have been leaving the car for 2-3 weeks at a time and doing this, without issue. Now, suddenly, when I reconnected the terminal and turned the ignition, the dashboard lights lit to about 75% capacity for about a second, then faded to 5% capacity. The car would not start. I jumped it and everything was fine.
    Next morning, (I had left the terminal connected overnight), the same thing happened. The dash would remain almost completely dark unless I turned the key all the way off and started over. Then the 75% to 5% thing would happen again. This went on for 5 minutes, then the car started and ran normally.
    This has been happening for 3 days now. The local Toyota technician says it's because of the disconnecting the battery terminal so much, now the computer is "confused" and must reset.
    Anyone know if this is true? Or how long it will take?
    Thanks for any help. Steve Jones.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True or not, it sounds like it's time to buy a new battery. Then you can stop screwing around with it for a few years.

3. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doesn't the small battery only have about a 5 yr life anyway?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Steve,

You really need a new battery. The Prius should start immediately after the battery cables are reconnected.

By the way, if you have been disconnecting only the positive terminal, that is a dangerous practice. If your wrench were to touch the body of the car while removing that terminal, this would cause a short and a large spark. There's also a small possibility that the spark could cause an explosion if hydrogen gas was liberated by the battery.

5. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Like everyone said, you need a new battery. Also, if you need to, disconnect the negative NOT the positive terminal.

6. Malcolm338

Malcolm338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been having the same problems twice it would not start after leaving it for a week. I have decided to get a new battery some are £50 and some are £250 what is the difference. Sourly any 12v battery of the right dimensions should do to start the computers to start the car . what is so special about the hybrid 12v battery that makes it so expensive.

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Besides the correct dimensions you also need the correct size battery terminals (JIS) (or conversion kit), correct polarity of battery, and ability to connect the breading tube (or battery that doesn’t breath). Besides those things any 12V battery will work.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A clarification: the battery will breathe (or burp), vent tube or not. The vent tube is so that human occupants don't have to breathe the toxic fumes.

9. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Prius battery is the AGM type, which is spill-proof. Since the battery is within the passenger compartment, this is an important safety consideration.

Some have found inexpensive AGM batteries from mobility scooter applications and have been able to make them fit, but none of them have the vent tube, I believe.

A Prius with SKS takes a larger battery than one without. Pay attention to that when sizing.

Fumes from the battery are not toxic, rather they're explosive. A charging battery will vent hydrogen gas.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Entirely wrong.
    AGM batteries do not "breathe" as they are sealed to the atmosphere.
    Some (all?) have a pressure relief valve to prevent an explosion in unusual circumstances though.

On batteries that are vented, the tube is there also to prevent the acid fumes from "eating" things that are near to the battery.

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And if it is over-charged at a high enough rate, it will also vent acid fumes.
    Even in normal operation a tiny bit of acid fumes manages to get out.
    On batteries where the fumes are not channeled to a vent tube, those fumes tend to corrode the cable ends, posts and any metal nearby (typically metal hold down brackets).

andrewclaus likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't that fit my 'burp' description?
    As for the human toxicity of battery fumes, you must have missed this recent thread, covering a double fatality from an improper 12V battery replacement:
    Cayenne Poss. Hydrogen Sulfide from wrong 12v Battery | PriusChat

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And where did I say or even strongly imply that battery fumes are NOT toxic ???
    Hint: I didn't.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At Post #10:

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What I was trying to say with that post is:
    The primary reason for a vent hose in any vehicle with any type of battery is NOT to keep humans from breathing the fumes.
    It IS to direct the fumes, if any, away from the battery itself and other nearby metal parts.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I must vigorously dispute a position asserting that venting to keep humans from breathing known toxic fumes, is not a primary purpose for said venting. The life and health of the human occupants is more important than mere corrosion of nearby metal parts.

The Prius, and the Porsche in the above linked article, are different than most other passenger vehicles in that the 12V battery is inside the enclosed passenger compartment. Absent special venting measures, the toxic emissions would be captured within human breathing space.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Protest all you want.
    A LOT of cars lately have the batteries inside the passenger "cage".
    If and when acid fumes do escape the battery, that consists of tiny little droplets of liquid.
    For that to make it's way from under the rear seat, out into the cabin air and into your lungs before it is deposited on something else........would be rather remarkable.....unless there is an explosion.
    Believe whatever you want.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To repeat -- Double Fatality case. No explosion, just gas emissions:
    Cayenne Poss. Hydrogen Sulfide from wrong 12v Battery | PriusChat

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please do your own due diligence before using something that isn't OEM compatible.

Here is a link to a more affordable AGM option : Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery. | PriusChat

Have also heard of others using lead acid lawn mower batteries that cost around $40 usd.

20. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well I heard it on the Internet so it MUST be true.

That whole thread is speculation.
    The link indicating that it has the actual facts is not working anymore.

If you can actually substantiate the guesses.......go for it.

One in a million cases of all kinds of things abound.