1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical problem, delayed ignition

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sjones8888, May 22, 2008.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess anything posted before you were born on this forum, didn't really happen. And CDC, OSHA, and state health departments are now purveyors of 'fake news'.

ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Sulfur Trioxide & Sulfuric Acid
    ATSDR - Public Health Statement: Sulfur Trioxide & Sulfuric Acid
    Battery fumes - Occupational Safety & Health - MedHelp
    Hydrogen Sulfide Chemical Information Sheet
    https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/chemicals/hydrogen_sulfide/docs/sulfide.pdf
    Health Concerns with Batteries - Battery University
    What hazardous gases are associated with lead acid battery charging stations? | GfG Instrumentation

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why do people feel obligated to propagate false impressions like this when they don't "have a dog in the fight" ???

Is it JUST to save face from making the questionable statement in the first place ???

ANYWAY.......

I usually don't play stupid one-upmanship games like this but I did a quick review of all the links you posted and came up with ZILCH that applies to an automotive battery in normal use. NONE, NADA.

One quote:
    "Human volunteers have been exposed to hydrogen sulfide for up to thirty minutes during moderate exercise at levels equal to or half the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 8-hour standard (10,000 ppb). Chemical changes in blood and muscle were observed, but no volunteer experienced adverse symptoms and no changes were seen in lung function measurements."

Just stop please.
    It would appear that there is NO EVIDENCE that an automotive battery in normal use will produce ANY products that are harmful to the vehicle operator with a vent tube or without.

P.S. The first "post" was made about 30 years AFTER I was born.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You were 'born' on this forum about four months ago, December 3. 2016, two months after the post in question. Since the originally linked article has expired, and you have been unable to find any additional articles about it, I'll provide more:
    Hydrogen sulfide inhalation killed mother, toddler found on Florida's Turnpike in June - Orlando Sentinel
    Woman, girl died after inhaling hydrogen sulfide, coroners say - NY Daily News
    Florida woman and her daughter who died in Porsche inhaled toxic gas | Daily Mail Online
    Mystery solved? Mother, daughter, 3, found dead in Porsche on Florida’s Turnpike | WFLA.com
    Hydrogen sulfide inhalation from car battery killed mother, daughter, medical examiner says | WFTV
    Hydrogen sulfide inhalation from car battery killed mother, daughter, medical examiner says | WPXI
    Mystery of deceased family in Porsche SUV may be solved
    This isn't about 'normal' use. It is about equipment failures and human error and misuse.
    Continue reading through those links. The NY health department chart shows what higher levels are associated with loss of sense of smell, then lung damage, then respiratory failure and unconsciousness, then nervous system failure.

Another quote, which you apparently missed in the very first link:
    "Severe exposure can result in death."

And from yet another CDC toxic materials guide:
    "Just a few breaths of air containing high levels of hydrogen sulfide can cause death."

I have provided links to plenty of outside sources. You have provided none. Nada. Until you can, maybe you should give up your 'game'.

#23 fuzzy1, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are a real piece of work.

This is a car forum.

And the discussion is/was about the potential danger of a battery without a vent hose inside the "cage" of a car.

I quit. Your trolling is not appreciated.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is that a promise:)?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The need for that vent hose, for the safety of the human occupants in a Prius, has been brought up in PriusChat many many times over my eight year tenure here. What makes this episode different are:
    (1) While the basic hazard has been known since long before any Prius was invented, this time we have a recent fatality case to which to point;
    (2) I carried the ball this time, where Jimbo or now-inactive members generally carried it previously;
    (3) This time, the adversary/newbie carried 'denial' to a whole new level.

I expect to see this come up again, repeatedly, as others continue to ask about cheaper but unsuitable replacement choices.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.