1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical problems after reverse jump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rjh427, Nov 4, 2022.

1. rjh427

rjh427 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is for my stepson's 09 Gen 2, not my 11 Gen 3.

On his Gen2, he accidentally connected some jumper cables with polarities reversed he said, you can expect the usual.

So far, we've replaced the fusible link and a number of fuses but it's still throwing a C1310 error - which seems to involve relays and/or other electrical components between the brake ECU and some other subsystem. So I'm thinking that somewhere, there should be a short list of components to check, and some guidance on how to check them?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can fry the inverter, any trouble codes?

3. rjh427

rjh427 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There were lots and lots of error codes initially, but after a reset and looking to see which ones came back? Only the C1310 code.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's never really only a C1310 code, because that brake ECU code means "hey, I'm the brake ECU, and I've been notified that there are codes over in the power management HV control ECU."

There are, however, scan tools that are great at showing you brake ECU codes, and not showing you codes from elsewhere in the car like the power management HV control ECU. Leading you to think you have only a C1310 code.

Which is a shame, because the codes in the power management HV control ECU would be helpful to know about now.

Edit: at first I thought this was about the poster's gen 3, but it's about a gen 2. What's called the power management control ECU in gen 3 is called the HV control ECU in gen 2.

#4 ChapmanF, Nov 4, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  5. rjh427

rjh427 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's my understanding, yeah. C1310 is a preliminary code that covers up other codes, is how I've read it described elsewhere.

Right. Kid sent me photos of someone who had a tablet plugged into his car, so I'm loathe to think this is a cheap scantool and DIY effort (I wasn't there).

Whomever it was, told the stepson he couldn't (or wouldn't?) reset the code, which means it's likely still there. So it becomes a question of how to tease that out. Esp. since stepson is strapped with work and can't do much until the second or third week of Dec, I live a county away and will not do willy-nilly 1.5 hour commutes without some surety of success. Even then, I have the scantool that works with the Dr. Prius app so it's probably not good enough either.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's not quite it. Your car has about a dozen and a half different ECUs in it, and they talk to each other. In particular, the brake ECU and the HV control ECU* have to talk to each other, because they have to coordinate braking; the HV control ECU is what does the regen.

So if the HV control ECU reports a trouble code, it has to tell the brake ECU about it, and the brake ECU will set its own code C1310 and not try to do regen braking anymore.

It's not that the C1310 is in any way "preliminary" or "covers up" other codes. It is just a code the brake ECU reports when it knows there are codes in the HV control ECU.

So then you just want to use a scan tool that knows how to get codes from the HV control ECU, so you can find out what the story's really about.

We have a thread reviewing different scantool apps and indicating which ones can get codes from all the ECUs. There might be some that will work with the dongle you already have.

* I called it the power management control ECU in my earlier post, sorry. I missed that you were talking about a gen 2 instead of the gen 3 in your profile, and that ECU is called different things in those two generations.