1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by StirCrazy516, Apr 16, 2017.

1. StirCrazy516

StirCrazy516 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2007 Prius with just over 100,000 miles. I posted in this group before about my problem with the car. It intermittently will have electrical problems such as the doors won't lock, key FOB won't work, windows won't open or close, etc. Someone had suggested changing the 12V battery and that should fix the problem. We replaced the battery with a battery from Toyota, just to make sure we got the right one and wouldn't have other problems with a third party battery. At first we thought that fixed the problem, at least for a few weeks. Then I was driving down the interstate and every single one of the warning lights came on my dash all at once. My car still drove fine so I kept going until I got home. Then after a day all the lights turned off. Then they came on, and then off... repeatedly. Now I also notice my AC intermittently goes out too. Last year I spent almost $2,000 fixing my AC so I don't think there is a real problem with the AC. It might not work for just a few hours or a couple of days, but then it always comes back on. Lately the car sometimes won't start unless I put the key in the slot. There is nothing wrong with my key FOB. My local Toyota dealership has not idea what the problem is. Any other ideas besides replacing the 12V battery? I need to get his fixed ASAP! It is beyond annoying!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you are not doing the work yourself, there isn't much we can offer. i would suggest taking it to another dealer. when you get trouble lights on the dash, there are detailed trouble codes waiting to be accessed from the computer. if your dealer doesn't know how to read the codes, they should not be in business.

that being said, i would get a voltmeter, go back to the 12v, test the voltage after the car has been off for a few hours. also, i would check the battery connections, for cleanliness and tightness. especially where the ground attaches to the body.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like Bisco said the car reported everything it was unhappy about in the "warning lights on the dash". It logged specific info every light.
    Your dealer sucks.

Every time you go the dealer and if you are chasing "lights" get the codes. They post them on the receipt. Unless there complete idiots and never hooked the Toyota Techstream laptop to the car and pulled them. Post the codes here verbatim and we can tell you whats up.

In the meantime concerning the alarm if like my car and many others it may have a failed door lock actuator. Mine's ion the drivers side door. The electronic latch that locks the door when you arm it fails. The weirdness it causes is that lock reports its state to the alarm system. So if it fails to physically lock the car won't beep when you arm it. It senses one door did not lock. If you had SKS you would see the door does not open when you touch the handle.
    In your case it would be the door does not open when you disarm the alarm. Very common in all cars after 10 years. Starts out very intermittent. The lock actuator must be replaced.

The other thing is you say the ac does not come on. Is it the blower not coming on? No air coming out of vents? That's really common its the ac blower fan has failed. Its right below the cabin filter behind the glove compartment. They go intermittent for a few months then finally die. Mine failed at 110K miles did that. Pretty easy to replace if you don't mind laying upside down on the passenger floor. I did a write up on it. Buy the oem fan online at toyota parts.

And are you checking your oil routinely? Check it first thing in the am before starting the car. I bet your oil is really low. That makes the lights come on and go off.