1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical safety

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, Feb 20, 2019.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    12 volts (12v) is scary. Think about it. 12 months in the year and only one contains the letter "v". 12v...scary.

2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Uh, I think I should point out that it is the amperage of a current going through your heart that will kill you, rather than the voltage per se, and getting that amperage through your heart depends both on the source voltage and the resistance to the applied voltage. Usually, 12-volts does not penetrate the skin and will not kill you. However, if you cut your hand and the voltage is applied directly to your bloodstream, the saline solution of the blood is a very good conductor and I believe it is possible to get sufficient current across the heart to interfere with it and potentially kill you. As the voltage increases, the amount of resistance to prevent lethal current flows also increases (Ohm’s Law). So a spark plug circuit generating 40,000 volts penetrates the skin quite readily, and then survival may depend on the exact path of the current takes to ground and the maximum amount of current available from the ignition system.