1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical smell

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by GWK, Mar 15, 2017.

1. GWK

GWK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am new to this forum so I hope I am asking my question in the correct place. Just purchased a 2002 Prius. I took it in today to have the windows tinted. Whe I got the car back it had an unusual smell inside. I didn't think much about it at the time as I assumed it was something to do with the tinting even though I have had several car done at this place and didn't remember getting the car back with a smell in it. My understanding of window tinting is it is put on with soapy water. The smell is like electrical to me. There is no smell uner the hood, but this smell is in the interior and trunk. I have not had any warning lights and the car seems to run fine. If the installer left the car turned on the entire time, about 2 hours, could this have done some damage to the car? Any help will be appreciated.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    possibly. prius do funny things sometimes after they've been serviced. usually because they've been left on when they shouldn't be.
    i have reported your post, and asked a moderator to move it to the correct (generation 1 prius 2001-3) where it will get more attention from owners and experts. all the best!(y)

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would the installer leave the car turned on for the whole time. The dome light might have been on because the doors were open. I think you're smelling leftover installation residue & maybe plastic outgassing. I guess I'd leave the windows down at home to let it air out, trunk open too. If the odor persists, take it back to the tint shop and ask them what they think.

If it's running okay and the battery indicator on the dash looks okay, don't trouble trouble. Same with the aux battery in the trunk. I say, Welcome:p, enjoy your classic Prius. I love mine as much as any car I've owned. & mine is so pristine, I invested in a new dash panel to replace the cracked and glued old one. My weekend project! (I kinda envy Bisco's plug in tho.) :cool:

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  4. GWK

GWK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank both of you for the encouragement. Great to have a place to go to resove concerns. Love my Prius and I look forward to being part of Prius Chat. I will know the next tme where to post my questions. Thanks again. Gary

bisco and Data Daedalus like this.
  5. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if the installer used an industrial hot air blower to dry and fix the tint material against the inside of your windows. I wonder if the device might have even been gas powered and it's the gas that smelt funny as it burned. Or the electric motor of the hot air blower was generating ozone and that's the source of the electric smell. I'm clutching at straws here, but that smell most certainly is curious.

iPhone ?

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  6. GWK

GWK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Data. You might be correct about the installer using a heat gun to install the tint. The day they installed the tint it was very cold and rainy here in South Carolina. I think I will give them a call and see if that is what I am smelling. Will repor back. Thanks.

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Btw, Welcome!

8. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto! I have had a strange electrical smell on occasion coming through inside of the car, it is faint smell but lasts only seconds. Ive had my 08' for 2 1/2 yrs and nothing ever comes of it. Curious of what responses you get. :)

9. GWK

GWK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In my case it ended up being the heater used in putting on the tint is where the smell came from. There is a little bit of smell left but it is minor.