1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrician questioning installinig a 50 amp circuit

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Curlyone, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Curlyone

Curlyone Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $350 for the electrical work. It was a fairly simple and quick install, 2 guys spent an hour or so. There was a outlet already installed in the same place so they were able to use the same conduits to run the wire and it was close to the breaker box, maybe 5 feet away into a unfinished room so no sheet rock to worry about.

If it wasnt for the fact I dont have a garage, only a covered car port, I might not have installed the charger, or at least waited awhile. I was concerned with leaving it plugged in overnight where anyone could walk by and mess with or try to steal it. No reason to tempt any would be thieves. Also the constant plugging in, un-plugging, was kind of a pain and could wear out the socket. I'm happy with it now, and no doubt it's much faster so I'm more easily able to do multiple charges a day if needed.

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. $350 sounds very reasonable. I have an electrician coming to my house tomorrow, so I will use the number as leverage. My plan was to install a dedicated 50A service in garage. But the garage being detached and conduite for 20A service to the garage is under asphalt driveway (and probably too small to fit a new wire), it may be too expensive. If that's the case, I may have to put the receptacle closer to the service panel on the house wall.

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you remove the old wire from the conduit I bet there would be room to put a new one through. There is likely a 10 or 12 gauge wire currently there. Putting an 8 gauge only adds about 20% diameter. And so on if you needed 6 gauge. (I'm no electrician though, but something to ask to your guy that comes out.)

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an idea I will discuss with the electrician tomorrow as an option. I think conduit is only 1/2 inch, and it has single 12AWG wire in it already. Juicebox site says I need #6AWG copper wire with 3 conductors and a ground for the 40A unit. I have no idea how big this wire is and will it fit ALONG with existing 12AWG wire? I have to keep the service for lights and freezer in garage on separate 20A circuit. Fishing the new wire through the conduit under our driveway almost 20 feet away is going to add both labor and parts cost substantially I would think.

#24 Salamander_King, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just wondering. If we had wireless chargers available, we may not be considering all these?

I think there are companies online that sake those stuffs?

You basically need a charging pad, that's moveable (or permanent), and a charge receptacle on the vehicle.

Dxta

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's only if you plan on pulling 40 amps of juice (10 kW) which is gross overkill for Prime.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nop, it's not for PRIME. I am currently perfectly happy with 120V L1 taking 5+ hrs of overnight charge. This is a step before I purchase our second car which I am hoping to be either LEAF or Clarity at this point. I will only need 32A for either of those two vehicles, but the price difference for 32A and 40A L2 chargers are minimal, so I am considering bigger one.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have 8-gauge wire with the 40A charger set (via software) to a max of 32A on a 40A breaker.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wireless charging isn't quite ready yet. Maybe in another 5-10 years. Still too much energy loss and heat buildup to be useful yet in EVs.

Dxta likes this.
  10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No the problem is actually worse. To get the same KW of charge wirelessly you need more input KWs. Which means a larger circuit. At current times, I believe "in the lab" we can get 20KW transmitted at 90% efficiency. In real life, the prototypes seem to be in the 80% to 85% range.

That means the OP's 50A circuit pulling 40A max could deliver 34A (85% efficiency, 8.1KW @ 240VAC) compared to the near 99% efficiency that nice low gauge wire can provide. Then note that The on board charger is again a charging loss. The Nissan Leaf can be as bad as 70% to 80%. If we say 80% again, That's 6.5KW delivered to the car for 9.6KW of power used if we go wireless versus 7.6KW delivered to the car for 9.6KW of power used.

If we wanted to deliver to the OBC the same 9.6KW so it would charge the same as a hardwire, we'd need 47A on the input, and a 60A circuit to supply it.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if present conduit can only fit both 12 and 8 gauge wires together but not with 12 and 6 gauge wires, I will ask an electrician to put 40A circuit and buy 32A EVSE. OTOH, if it is impossible to put two wires together in current conduit, I am not going to tear up black top to lay down another conduit under the driveway. It all depends on how much it is going to cost.