1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrified Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why my second one is self propelled! an extra battery would be great tho.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's really no point in having a whole acre of lawn. Half-acre is more than enough for the kids to run around in, put the rest in some kind of low-maintenance landscaping that's appropriate for your environment. And better yet, include a garden.

I've read that the number one crop in America in terms of acres is grass. More than corn, more than wheat, more than soybeans. Grass. And what does it do for us?

3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hmmm... The run time and battery life are rather concerning. I like the AMP's 34" cutting area. I have a big yard, but not that big, as I live in the city. The total area of the lot about 1/3rd of an acre, but I push mow the (small) front yard, and in the back a large chunk of it is garden.

So, maybe the run time is easily fine, but I'm still not keen on the battery life. I'm still sharing a gas-powered riding mower with my neighbours. It's got a 25" cutting area so it's a bit small for a riding mower, but actually is fine for my backyard. The main problem is that there are three of us sharing it, and both of them have even more grass than I do, so the blade dulls quickly. Maybe I'll stick it out for a few more years while the battery tech improves for these consumer riding mowers. I have no desire for a 42" riding mower.

The other problem is that I don't have storage for the thing. I wonder how the unit would do if I covered it for the winter and left it outside (storing the battery elsewhere).

BTW, how good is the mulching on the Ariens AMP?

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered the mulching kit for the AMP. I'll let you know how well it does in a few weeks.

I have a small update about cutting time problem with the AMP which I will also update when I get the results from the mulching kit.

Expect an update in a few weeks.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Oh, it's not standard? So, without the kit it just sends grass clippings everywhere?

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. By default the AMP mower shoots the grass out the right hand side of the deck. I really don't know what would be more efficient for longer run time or even if they would be the same but I wanted to get the mulching kit so I would be able to do more cutting without backing up or having to miss parts of the sides of objects because of the discharge on the right.

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can no longer recommend the Ariens AMP electric riding mower. The more I use it the more I can see that this thing just is not built right. You would figure that a company like Ariens thats been building mowers for quite a while would know how to build one. I'm not talking about the electric part of the mower but the mower as a mower. As an electric mower is OK for their first attempt but as just a mower its just poorly designed for general maintenance.

Problem 1.
    To sharpen the blades you must remove the deck. In order to do that you have to remove 6 pins. Thats not hard at all. Since this is an electric mower you must disconnect the wires from the blade motors. This is where poor design comes in. The wire connectors are located in a very hard to reach area in the back/bottom of the mower. These connectors are zip tied in a way that you must clip the zip ties. Since there is no slack you must have long arms and small hands to do the unclipping and pulling. This makes the job of sharpening the blades very difficult because you have to disconnect them then reconnect and use new zip ties to secure the cables.

I had to remove the deck because I bought the mulching kit and needed to install it. The next problem I ran into was that the steel plates that fit in the mower to keep the grass inside did not fit all the way. I had to bend them a little to line up the holes to screw in the bolts.

The next problem I had was that the instructions said the bolts that bolt onto a triangle shape in the center of the deck had to be placed with the nut inside the triangle. This wont work at least with my tools. Since the bolt was a rounded head the only way to tighten its was with the nut. So I had to put the nut on the outside instead of the inside. I don't see this being an issue since it does not look like it will interfere with anything since its outside the cutting chamber.

The next problem I had after installing the mulching kit was that one of the blades was hitting the side of a triangle shape thing in the center of the deck. To fix this I reseated the blade and just for good measures I took a hammer to the triangle thing to try to dent it inward to make more clearance.

In the end I got the mulching kit installed and working.

Problem 2.
    One of my battery sub packs outgassed and bloated. I'm currently in the process of getting this replaced under warranty. Now your supposed to be able to replace the batteries as need and it should be very easy to do so. Well apparently they made it so you cant replace the batteries. I'll explain. There is a bracket that secures the batteries in place. This bracket is secured by a rounded head bolt and nut. The rounded side of the bolt is under a plate. Since you cant use a wrench on that side anyway there is no use of making it have a hex head. This is one of those bolts that have a square fitting under the head to fit in a square hole. This makes it so you can tighten the nut with only one wrench. Well some jack hole decided it would be a good idea to press the top of the nut and the top thread of the bolt. Normally you do this on things you want to permanently secured and never removed. Well thats all good if these are some miracle batteries that last forever. Well I need to remove one. I eventually backed the nut off the bolt while having to keep the bolt pushed up on to the square hole in order to keep the bolt from turning. In the end the nut is now rounded and I still cant use the bolt since the top threads are damaged. I'm going to have to go to Lowes to get a replacement. Or better yet I should make Aires replace it.

Only get this mower if you want an electric and don't mind spending some money on making it better. Like LiFePO4 batteries and nuts and bolts that acutally work. I don't know what to do about the cables yet.

1 person likes this.
  8. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It can't make it up that small hill? :confused:

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That small hill is about 20-25 degree slope. You would think it should make it up it but 48v combined with the hydrostatic transmission and it just does not have the power.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds typical for electric power. sometimes i wonder if there is an engineering reason to have to reonfigure the whole machine due to lack of power/battery life. or maybe they are just jumping on the green marketing bandwagon. "hello, china? we need an electric riding mower asap to look good to our customers. what? thoughtful engineering? no, too expensive. no ones going to buy them anyway, except for a couple nut jobs we don't care about":D

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd return it and ask for a full refund. It's obviously not up to the job, and has many design flaws. You shouldn't have to be their R&D department.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent grazing land?:rolleyes:

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought. But do you think the wife will let me keep animals? It took me quite awhile to get her to acquiesce to a dog. Chickens? Rabbits? A goat? Forget it. ;)

14. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I have an update about the Ariens AMP for those of you that are interested. I have some surprising news that may leave me disappointed for spending more money. I wont know for sure until I get my grass cut a few more times.

Here is a link to the new information.
    CleanMPG Forums - View Single Post - Electrified Lawn Care

1 person likes this.
  15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finished my second cut with the new batteries and things are looking good. :D

I was able to cut my whole yard again and I still had about 43v under load at the end of the cut. Which should be good for another 5-10 minutes of cutting.

So it looks like my old batteries were bad all along. The AMP can cut up to an acre and since you can now purchase an AMP for about $2k I would now recommend it again. I still hate that it has some of the other issues I mentioned in my review but since a good battery pack can cut up to an acre I think that and the new price out weighs the other small issues.

I'm back to recommending it. At least for now. :) As long as nothing else comes up I will give an end of year review.

For more details visit CleanMPG Forums - View Single Post - Electrified Lawn Care

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm going to read thru the negatives again, but with your new recommendation, i'm this close :rockon: to buying one. i'm sick and tired of the noise and fumes of my husky tractor. how long do you expect the batteries to last and how much are replacements?

17. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect the batteries to last about 300 cycles since I am deep cycling them. My guess would be 4 years at most with my experience with SLA batteries.

As far as cost I have not priced the ones from Ariens but if you build your own from the same type of SLA batteries it would cost about $700 at $35 per battery and thats not including shipping. I'm guessing you can easily reuse the wires and fuses from the original batteries.

Personally I'm going to upgrade to LiFePO4 batteries which should last the life of the mower but they cost a lot more. For an example the current price of 110Ah Thudersky LiFePO4 that I found is about $169.75 per cell. You would need 16 cells for a total of $2716. Plus you would need some wire, a fuse, and some connectors. The 110Ah cells would let you mow up to about 2 acres by my estimates. You could go with the 60Ah cells at $104.76 per cell for a total of $1676.16 but that would leave you with less cutting time than the stock SLA batteries.