Featured Electrify America press release

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 27, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web i3 and Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They must have put the out-of-work diesel engineers on fast DC charger design.

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting development with the announcement of the partnership with Tesla / battery backup / powerwall.
    Electrify America Adds Tesla Battery Storage to 100 Stations - Tesla Motors Club
    Considering how much these devices can pull, presuming many are working, if you had 2 or more running simultaneously, it wouldn't be hard to make a mess of things without battery backup - if Electrify America was running them at a little kiosk type area.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just a followup to the above, relating to potential 350kW stations .... here's a good illustration of how 350kW charging actually works in reality - due to today's existing battery chemistry;

[​IMG]

The above illustrates how a NEW battery receives power. The time before throttle down (presently experienced by all DC/QC EV's) is an algorithm that can be OTA modified my manufacturers - if /when they decide (if a manufacturer's vehicle is so equipped - as are Teslas) that YOU are using DC/QC too frequently - that "over-use" may make it likely you may not reach end of factory warranty with enough remaining capacity. Tesla owners (in some instances) have already experienced an even quicker "throttle-back" when they DC/QC too frequently ... not just supercharging owners either. Folks using the CHAdoMO adapter regularly on their Teslas - despite the fact tthe CHAdeMO may only output 38kW's .... too bad - even slower QC operation brings on the quicker throttle-back software re-write. Owners' charge time might be several minutes longer, due to OTA monitoring, coupled with OTA software re-programming capability.
    Tesla has been tight lipped about the algorithm ... whether it's the # of QC's .... the length of QC operation .... the temps when owners use a QC, etc. But one thing's pretty likely from the chart above. If the 250 & 350kW charging curves drop quick for the same rational that Tesla incorporates - that 350kW potential won't be as spectacular as all the hype makes it out to be.

#23 hill, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web i3 and Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've noticed that our BMW i3-REx on a fast DC charger tapers down around 85% but by 91% it is just a trickle and in the 97% range, it is all but a small trickle. Yet it appears if I go to a nearby L2, the charging completes all the way to 100% as fast, possibly a little faster.

I am thinking about making a time-lapse photo of both to see if I can document a change of rate in the 90-100% range comparing a fast DC charger to an L2.

Bob Wilson