1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

electronic, chemical, or no rust protection

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by toomuch, Sep 5, 2009.

1. toomuch

toomuch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought my Gen III in July and love it. In fact, I'm thinking of abandoning my church heritage in favor of worshiping the engineers in Japan. ;)

When I bought the Prius the dealer said they do not recommend spraying the car with a rust protective. Instead, they offered an electronic device ($800).

However, it seems from a previous thread in 2006 and current google searching that electronic rust prevention devices are snake oil. Probably true. I cannot find an independent study, backed by peer review, supporting the notion.

This topic is a big deal during the winter in northern states and Canada because of the catalyst effect for rust by ice-melting calcium chloride.

So....apparently no spraying.....and no electronic magic.

The question is.....do we folks who live in northern climes (or near an ocean) go bareback and hope the factory zinc keeps rust at bay for the next eight years?

2. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Toomuch:

I can relate to where you are coming from with regards to rust, etc. as I live in Newfoundland right next to the ocean and my wife drives a route for Canada Post taking her through communities that get a lot of spray especially during the winter. Over the past few years I have only had cars leased and didn't have this done. I am trying to debate this time if to have the 2010 Toyota Prius done as there is a remote possiblity that at the end of the lease we might buy it.

That being said, I do agree with you that the electronic gadget is, as you put it, snake oil. $800 whereas Canadian Tire sells them for less than $200 at times......ouch! As regards to spray solution and not wanting to affect anything considering the electronics of the Prius I suggest you contact one of the National Companies that do this. Two that come to mind are Rust Check and Krown. My brother-in-law is the territorial rep. for Newfoundland and I will ask his thoughts on getting the Prius done and if there is someone you can contact at www.krown.com to ask. He also has info on the validity of those electronic devices which if it is available to the public I will either post it or PM you on this. Ironically, he asked me today if I was considering it and said I might just go and get it Rust Checked!!! :p

All the best.....

3. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Toomuch:

As per my other posting my brother-in-law replied to my question about Rustproofing the 2010 Toyota Prius. Here is the contents of his reply:

"Hi Ed:

We can Krown any vehicle - Head Office does inspections on all new models each year and provides dealers with specs re any special considerations on a particular vehicle. We spray line trucks for hydro companies - our product is a dielectric - no tracking through the product. Whoever sprays your Prius will have specs from Head Office to ensure that it is done correctly.

Re electronic devices ... I haven't been able to find the information - it's in my file. Remind me on the weekend and I will find it for you and give you a copy."

This is all I have at the present and when talking to him later today I will ask if he has found the electronic device info.

So sorry for the delay in getting this.

All the best.....

4. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    if you google electronic rust protection you can find some good information.

Suffice it to say it's good ships. IIRC that was why it was created. (could be wrong though). At any rate, it's a waste on cars. You need the sea water to really interact to make it work. Since the car is protected by rubber tires, you would need to ground it at the very least.

5. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am a metallurgical engineer. I did corrosion studies as part of my job in the early 80's. For my own interest at home I studied a product marketed called S-100 motorcycle engine cleaner. I took test coupons of specially ground unpainted 1010 plain carbon steel into a rack that I mounted under my car. One control coupon I never sprayed at all. One I sprayed once a week, the other once a month and one every 3 months. The one I sprayed once a week was perfect after the northern Illinois winter salt conditions. The others had varying degrees of rust depending upon how often they received the spray. This does not mean you have to use it once a week on your new Prius which has much more corrosion protection than bare steel which starts to show red rust in a couple hours on a humid summer day. This is an expensive chemical from Germany that leaves an invisible, no feel, film behind that really works.

I have no interest in this company other than I have used it on my personal cars for 27 years. I spray it in the rear wheel wells, chassis parts, exhaust welds, wheels, brake calipers, door drain holes, inside of bottom of front fenders, etc. when I wash in late fall and when ever I wash in the winter, usually 2 or 3 times. I wash the salt and mud off first before using this product. Just spray it off with water but the film remains behind to protect against corrosion. My cars show significantly less rust than others of the same model and year when they are 10+ years old. I avoid spraying it on all electrical parts.

They also make S-100 Corrosion Protection spray which is a waxy substance. I spray it inside the trunk area where condensation can start corrosion from the inside, ie Honda's that rust from the inside at the rear of the rear wheel wells. If I would not wash in the winter I would also spray it in the wheel wells, and lower weld seams on the body. The car must be completely dry and clean to apply. You can buy both products at motorcycle dealers.

:) Hope this helps.