1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electronic Display (w/ Speed, Odometer, Gas, etc) doesn’t work.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Choogaa, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Choogaa

Choogaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PC! I’ve been reading this forum for years, but this is my first post.

I have a strange issue with the Electronic Display (with the Speed, Odometer, Gas, etc. on it) - in a nutshell, it often doesn't turn on in the cold- (But the car works fine.)
    I haven’t been able to find any troubleshoots online. Hopefully some of you Prius-gurus have some advice and maybe this thread can be helpful to others. (Apologies if it’s already been answered.)

I have a 2008 Prius which I bought in August 2010 w/ 17k miles on it. It currently has 70k. I’ve noticed this issue since winter of 2010 but it’s certainly occurring more frequently. Sometimes when I start my car (almost exclusively in the winter) the electronic display never turns on. The LED light on the power button is red/orange (not green): my blinkers work and their green arrows show up, and the passenger side airbag light works but no other lights on the dash work. The navigation screen works fine but the information about mileage (in the info section) doesn’t continue to tally and the reverse lights don’t work and the backup camera doesn’t activate. The brake lights are fine. Also the trunk doesn’t open if it starts in red LED mode. But the car drives fine. So I just drive it without knowing my speed/gas level.

But it’s odd and it’s been 4 years now.

It’s not the dimmer dial by the steering wheel and I’ve checked the fuse box under the steering wheel.

The starter battery was replaced 11/25/14 (recently) and the screen worked twice afterwards and then stopped working for 11 days. Turned on last night (Sunday) and was off again this morning.
    Sometimes when driving a long distance the display will turn on mid-drive. Other times it will turn on consistently for a while and then not.

I’ve asked multiple Toyota dealerships about it, but it has never misbehaved when the car was with them (classic!) and unfortunately the closest dealership is 2+ hours away so usually the screen turns on by the time I get it there.

Before I got my battery replaced, it often refused to turn off when it was in this mood. I’d have to rev the engine and drive around the block gassing it unnecessarily to get it to turn off. But since the battery replacement I’m able to always force it off by holding down the power button.

Any ideas?! Thank you so much! I can try and take a video or pictures if you think that might help.
    I think it has to be related to the cold? Maybe frost builds up and separates a connection? Does anyone know where to look to secure connections to the electronic display?

I live in Wyoming and it often gets pretty cold in the winter evenings.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like Patrick said, it is the Combination Meter. Take your Prius to the dealer. They know how to fix it and the fix is FREE.

When the Prius won't shut down because the meter is not working, you have to hold the power button down for a long period of time. Then it will power down properly. You will also find that the rear hatch won't open when the meter is not working.

This is a common problem and Toyota is aware of it. Don't let them charge you for it. Refer them to the TSB Patrick quoted above. Also if Toyota has to keep your car overnight, have them pay for the rental car. It is all part of the TSB. In the past it has taken time to get the car fixed as they have to change the combo meter and program it with your current mileage. They usually do NOT fix this in just a couple of hours.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

vskid3 likes this.
  4. Choogaa

Choogaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes!!! thank you, you are both geniuses.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No genius here, Prius junkie Yeah, Prius Chat Junkie? For Sure...

6. Oligarx

Oligarx New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to this forum.
    On my 2011 Prius Dash lights are off (Speed, Odometer Gas ... all off)
    When I put my fingers on the buttons on steering wheel it lights up, also if I push eco/power mode those lights are on ... But speed, odometer are off....

Couldn't find recall or TSB.

What might be the problem?

Thank you.

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    2011 is gen 3. So you should search in or post to gen 3 forum.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The TSB relates to Gen II Prius.
    It does sound like your combination meter has died.

As Valde3 says, try posting your question in the Gen III forum.