1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electronic key battery life

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zebedee, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Zebedee

Zebedee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just received my Prius V. On page 64 of the Owner's Manual there's a warning of "serious deterioration" in the key battery life if it is kept within three feet of a cell phone or various other transmitting devices. Does anyone know how significant this issue is? If I keep the key in my left pocket and my iPhone in my right pocket (less than three feet between the two) will I notice significantly reduced battery life? The manual says 1-2 years is standard, it would be annoying if the battery life dropped into just months because of the proximity of my cell phone. Thank you.

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about the 2010, but with my 2004, I changed the battery about every two years. Cell phone on my belt, key in my right pocket.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been doing that (key in one pocket, cell phone in the other)since 2005 and my key still works fine. It doesn't have super range but then again, it never really did.

The batteries are so cheap I am not concerned. They use a standard watch battery.

4. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Everythng will have to live in my pocketbook and play nicely together inches apart. I'll keep track of battery life...as soon as I get a car key. ;)

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Right pocket and left pocket works fine. Don't keep them in the same pocket.

Tom

6. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would keep the cell phone in the trunk while driving just in case this is true.:D

348 likes this.
  7. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The batteries in both of my keys are still good, after 3.5 years. My phone is often, or usually within 3 feet of the key.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. it's a mystery.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    About 2 years for both of my SKS equipped vehicles.

SCH-I535 ?

10. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't think your cell phone can effect your key transmitter, try putting them in the same pocket. Mine will not detect the key if I do so. More than once I've had to get out of my car and search for my keys only to find that they are in the same pocket as my phone.

11. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't put the key and phone in the same pocket. When I'm walking around, the key is in my right front pocket, and the phone in my right hip pocket, or in my hand. When I'm driving, the key stays in my pocket, but the phone is in a cup holder or the tray under the gear shift. Every night, the phone is charging, and turned on, with the key a few inches away, so the proximity under those conditions doesn't hurt battery life, since my batteries are 3 1/2 years old, and still good.

I'll try putting my phone in the same pocket with the key, and see if that keeps the key from working. In case it makes any difference, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with that arrangement, there's an awful lot of communication going through a very sensitive area.;)

13. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I guess it could be a hazard.

bisco likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta watch that bisco...

But 3-feet? Gimme a break we would need a shoe carrier for our phone or Prius key fob. I am thinking Toyota Japan blew the conversion factor of 6-cm from metric and Toyota USA went with it.

Lost in translation? I see we have posts about this as far back as 2007.

15. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did my experiment with my key and phone in the same pocket. The door unlocked, and the car "started." As far as time of proximity between key and phone, my key and phone probably spend an average of 10 hours a day within 10 cm of each other, and my batteries just keep on ticking.

16. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I keep my phone in my man purse (backpack) and it is never on when I'm driving, so I'm no help.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    different phones affect differently, for some reason. i once had both in the same pocket, and the fob didn't work.

18. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe I should keep the phone away from my head. I've noticed lately that I'm becoming very forgetful...

19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    according to toyota 3 feet from your head shouldn't produce "serious deterioration".

20. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I ignored all the advice and did whatever I felt like. The key fob was next to a magnetic key card. The key fob sits in the garage next to the car. Whatever goes.

First key ran out of battery a little over a year. And I mean it started telling me the key fob battery was low for a couple of months. Proximity stopped working and I just pressed the button while really close to the car. Finally pulled the mechanical key out of the fob to open the door. I then had to put the fob at the start button to start the car. That's how empty I took the battery and it was a disappointing 18 months or so, I don't remember. All previous cars have been it 3+ years. Don't think I ever replaced the 2009 Hyundai fob battery. But then none of them had SKS.

I placed a new battery in the keyfob and made the spare my main key to rotate usage. Now the spare is giving the message. So I am getting about 1.5 years each battery which is disappointing but acceptable to me. I'm not going to worry about proximity or range to a cell phone or whatever to coax another 2 years out of a $1 battery.