1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electronic Nightmare

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ColoradoBoo, Feb 6, 2022.

1. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nightmare story, boys and girls, but does have a pretty good ending.
    My daughter's Honda van got t-boned last fall and she finding a very clean 2016 Mazda CX-5 at our Toyota dealership. (She wanted a Nissan Rogue but I talked her out of it and then a RAV4 but couldn't find one in her price range...not even close!)
    Unfortunately, the Mazda only came with one key so I found an OEM key fob on-line and tried for three weeks to get the car to accept it with my car scanner. (On-line has tons of horror stories about those Mazda computer systems.) I got it to the final step a few times but then would error out. I wasn't brave enough to clear ALL keys from the system then add them back...nope.) The computer showed 2 keys programmed so i checked the limit and Mazda's can have 6, so that wasn't the issue.
    Anyway, our "wonderful" Mazda dealership charges $170 to program new key fob...ridiculous. So I called my Toyota dealership and they said they would do it for $65.
    Wrong...service manager said their equipment only programs Toyota fobs and can't even program Lexus'...they have their own equipment.
    So I took it to Batteries Plus who's supposed to be able to program fobs and they charge $70. FOUR hours later, and after having to use two different computers, the kid finally got both fobs working but, now, you have to push the start button with the fob...doesn't work remotely anymore. (Which is fine...better to have two that will work than one that can be lost.)
    Leave it to electrical car engines to make something so simple as a KEY into such an expensive hassle.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The wonders of modern technology! :whistle:

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I feel for you, 'Boo.

I have a love-hate relationship with Smart Key. To me, it's not so smart. The fob should have only lock-unlock buttons, and the key should be placed into a slot and turned.

My Prius v is the lowest level 2 and that is more than I need when it comes to electronic keys.

4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I think my 2014 Tundra has the perfect system. A separate remote for locking/unlocking/starting remote start and an actual key I can get copies made for a couple of bucks. If something isn't broke, don't fix it! (I don't like the new electronic parking brakes, either.)

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you consider the complexity and expensive of "smart" keys, weigh against the added security, do we come out ahead? By how much? And the further "improvement", to push-button start, opens the door to hackers?

Please make a dumb car | Page 2 | PriusChat

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We need to go back to the key that can be duplicated at the local hardware store for $3.

If the thief really wants your car, they'd tow it away on a flatbed.

I remember my grandpa's 1965 Mustang with no hood or steering wheel column lock.

Raise the hood, run a wire from the battery to the run terminal on the solenoid mounted on the passenger side fender, and touch another wire from the battery to the start terminal and you can drive off.

All of these Smart Key systems are there to lighten your wallet and put your money into theirs.

#6 Georgina Rudkus, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    ColoradoBoo and Mendel Leisk like this.