1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Elephant in the room

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 14, 2024.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hopefully, this thread is about the politicization of EVs and EV ownership. The thread should address how skeptics look at EVs versus trying to change one's opinion on anything but EV ownership:

I remember a local engineer who bought a Prius and got razzed by others. He used to tell them, 'Well this is one Prius that won't go to a liberal.' With faint humor, he was trying to get them off his back. But he shouldn't have needed to do that except for peer pressure from self proclaimed 'conservatives.'

In the past, I've told EV skeptics, "It cost $2.50 to drive 100 miles." But in the future, I'll say "It costs less than one gallon of gas to drive over 100 miles." Some people are slow to do math in their head.

So here are some stimulus-response pairs that I've used:
    • Time to charge? - "On the road, about 15-20 minutes, one McDonalds meal and bathroom break."
    • Time for full charge? - "At home, 2-3 hours while I eat supper, watch TV, or take a nap."
    • Find a charger? - "Built into the car navigation and Plugshare.com maps chargers with reviews."
    • Battery life? - "After 5 years, 240 miles as expected down to 210-215 or 2-3 hours driving."
    • Driving? - "Autopilot does the driving and I supervise."
    Any other suggestions?

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think there are a lot more ‘conservatives’ here than 20 years ago, and over at bolt chat I’d say it’s about 50/50.
    It’s usually about saving money, and that’s fine, the reasons don’t matter

Mark wood likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I live in Alabama. Huntsville is reasonable but every mile outside of the City, the attitudes age one year per mile.

Bob Wilson

drash likes this.