1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Elite Auto - Beware. Craigslist hybrid battery ads should make you leery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ericbecky, Nov 3, 2015.

1. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Correct.

I already know what will be required when the HV battery needs replacement, and I am willing to do it. Not everyone will be willing. I would prefer this item would ship, but it does not.

To each their own. Everyone will spend their money as they deem fit.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have Prime too. But, as you already know, NO ONE sells an OEM HV Battery through Amazon; a moot point. There are people selling their leftover modules though; not interested in a temporary fix.

Picking up an HV Battery from a dealership that will sell to me, at a cost equal to or slightly more than 2k1Toaster's $1600, is an easy decision. Still on the original factory HV Battery; year 11 BTW. Why risk proven longevity, with NO price advantage, for the convenience of something showing up on your door? If the price difference was LARGE, then 2k1Toaster's cylindrical replacement would be very compelling. He will still have an audience, as not everyone is willing to go and pick-up and OEM HV Battery, nor will all the dealerships nearby people be willing to sell to you, esp at online discounted rates.

To each their own. Ultimately your money, your car. You aren't paying my bills, and I am not paying yours. And we shall both, continue to live happily ever after.

3. Petrodollar

Petrodollar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I prefer the Toyota OEM battery also. But the New Prius Batteries (2k1Toaster) $1600 cylindrical battery kit does have other financial advantages.

Even if the OEM battery is discounted $200 from the list of $1950 down to $1750, the $1350 core charge requires you to pay out $3100 plus tax of about $140 = $3240 initially. You will eventually get the core charge back. But while some of us may be able to come up $1600, it is much more difficult to come up with $3200 (at least for me).
    So New Prius Batteries $1600 including shipping and possibly no tax has a big advantage for those who can't get past that $3200 hurdle.

And since New Prius Batteries doesn't require a core return, the good OEM modules from the battery can be sold to reduce the cost further.
    For example: if the best 22 of the 28 OEM modules can be sold for $25, that lowers the cost by $550 to $1050. That's a very good price for a complete set of new modules.
    The only risk is the unknown long term life of the cylindrical cell modules compared to the typical OEM life of 8 - 10 years.