1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ELM327 obd2 trouble getting it to connect to torque app

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by boostedsil40, Oct 10, 2019.

1. boostedsil40

boostedsil40 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello I got the elm327 paird with my laptop but when I go on the torque app I get a flashing bluetooth and 3 warnings basically saying no bluetooth paired.What did you guys and gals do to get this app to work?I know some cars are trickey and some you leave the key out and others you only pair the device in the torque app or it wont work and little tricks like that.Let me know what needs to be done to get this to work thx.

2. gothstone

gothstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car is off you will get can't communicate to ECU. So your issue is at the pairing or comm to the device. Using it on a laptop with an emulator will be a lot harder than just using your cell phone. Hopefully you got a real elm327 instead of a bad clone.
    Try hitting the gear, then settings, OBD2 Adapter Settings, Choose Bluetooth Device. If yours is there selectit and you might be good to go. If not then Bluestacks (or whatever emulator your using) isn't passing the ODBII connection through correctly. I have no clue how to fix that.
    Again, just using a phone will probably be a lot easier.

3. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Are you using an Apple laptop,? they have a different version of Bluetooth tech, ie incompatible

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought a cheap one for my trucks a while back and never got it to work. Had the vendor replace it and the next one worked fine.

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you paid about $10 for the ELM327, then it is most likely the problem. I had one for a while and it was extremely difficult to connect to OBD2 of (various) cars. I finally threw it away and bought a more pricey one on Amazon (about $25) and it works like a charm. Every time with every vehicle I have ever tried with it (quite a few when I was shopping for another used car). So I would suspect the adapter itself if it's a cheapo $10 affair. Mine is this, but there are others that work well. I think the market was flooded with cheap $10 adapters at some point that were half-baked in China, so if you got one of those, toss it and move on.

I have also heard tell of the Carista adapters (not the app, but the hardware) working on both iOS and Android. The one I mentioned above will not work with iOS, only Android. Carista adapters are even cheaper than what I have, I think they go for $20 or so these days. I have not verified their function in any way and only repeating what I read. My experience is with the adapter I linked to above.