1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Elon Musk’s big lie about Tesla is finally exposed

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Dec 17, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In one of those cases, it isn't. The other is a maybe.

In both the Ford hit a car stopped in a freeway lane at night.

The one that isn't evidence happened in Texas. Don't know the lighting situation for the stretch of road where it happened, but the stopped car had lights off. The highway does have sections of 80mph speed limit, so everybody doing 90 is a reasonable assumption. Another car that just missed the stopped one may have blocked the Ford's view of it. Even without that factor, the speeds involved could entail no ADAS system could have responded in time to avoid the crash. IIRC, the Ford did brake before it happened

The maybe happened outside Philly on I95. Lower speed limits and likely better lighting than Texas, but the Ford driver was drunk. I call this a maybe cause they might not have driven another car without the ADAS, but plenty of people have been driving drunk before we had these systems.

Ford’s hands-free BlueCruise system was active before fatal Texas crash | PriusChat
    Tesla's latest AP software will work with MobilEye hardware? This first edition Model S only has one camera and radar.
    Tesla Autopilot AP1 vs AP2 vs AP3 - Differences Explained - AutoPilot Review

fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not to nitpick but the first edition of the Model S (2012) had no AP hardware, which came out in 2014, yeah, the MobileEye one, but my first reply on that specific subject mentioned "any update", not just AP/FSD. If you look at Teslafi's firmware tracker, Pre Autopilot cars (ie, 2012-2013) are still receiving the latest 2024 update (2024.26.3.1) that my car is also receiving, that's 12 years since they left the manufacturing plant. Of course, it won't get all the bells and whistles that the newest Model S get but they are not "left in the dust" like other manufacturers do once they left the manufactures.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Please, you were implying all Teslas have ADAS equal to the latest cars out of the factory when you brought updates into the discussion. We weren't talking about any other car features in this thread.

4. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rereading that post, I said "My Prius Prime has a radar and camera and will NEVER see any updates to improve its lane assist capabilities whatsoever while Model S built in 2012 are still getting them" and you're right, AP1 will probably not get these updates as they are from MobilEye. They will have to come from MobilEye and is exactly what's wrong with other manufacturers when they need to do updates and why it's harder for them to do them. Too many third party products are involved that the car manufacturer has no control over. That doesn't explain though why my Canadian Prius Prime EV Consumption gauge only goes up to 10 kWh/100 km when the car averages 15 kWh/100 km while for the European Prius PlugIn, it goes up to 40 kWh/100 km. OEM are lazy when it's time to do upgrades, or are greedy, like charging hundreds of dollar for a map update that I get for free as part of the OTA update in my Model 3.

But it's still true, Model S built in 2012 are still getting updates. What other car manufacturers can say the same?