1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Elon Musk’s big lie about Tesla is finally exposed

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Dec 17, 2023.

1. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    There are many ways to handle this situation. The last time that I was in a similar situation the driver of the car behind me hit his horn, which reminded me to reengage the DRCC and in no time we were all up to cruising speed which was about 17 MPH.

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same for my Prime. The three things that annoy me the most is that stupid gauge that's maxed out at 10 kawh/100 km and the AC that can't be remotely turned on until 10 minutes have passed since I got out and AC shutting down as soon as I open a door to get in.

3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think I said the latest and greatest phone...just any cell phone that you could carry around rather than tied to a wall socket

Yeah, I get that. It's just that the telephone company had been promising us these picture phones since the 1960's at the World's Fair so I thought 60 years later it was time.

Good because I don't care what anyone is having for dinner

Don't let me stop you. But in any case lots of things have switched to using the internet and will never go back including things like all your financial transactions, Unless you actually walk into a bank and withdraw cash to pay for everything...or better yet just keep it all safe under your mattress.

Because any 20+ year old car is generally much more polluting and gets worse with age in addition to being much more CO2 polluting than any EV even with the worst grid CO2 output.

Mike

sylvaing likes this.
  4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would add as a reason for a new car is to get the latest safety features - that's why we got a new one when the youngest child began to drive - I am thinking specifically of Rear Cross Traffic Safety Alert/Stop - Automatic Emergency Braking - Blind Side Monitoring and Crash Avoidance specifically. Not to mention, Lane Assist and Alert etc.

And before anyone brings it up - I taught all the kids to drive - they know they are to control the car and drive it themselves - they are not to text while driving or be inattentive.

The safety features I bought up are to assist them and to be secondary safety systems to check their decisions as they are driving.

mikefocke likes this.
  5. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough, but that doesn't explain exactly why you want the latest firmware. I guess it depends on what you consider "obsolete" as all of us can have a different opinion. On a phone that could be either 1. not having the latest UI, 2) not having the latest security updates, or 3) so old your apps are no longer supported and no longer work. I'm more of a #3 guy with my phone, as the only reason I have a smartphone is I feel the need to use a couple of apps. But I don't bank or surf the web or hardly do anything else on it except make phone calls, so I don't care if it has the latest security updates. Obviously everyone's opinion, needs and wants are all different, and that's ok.

PS. I got a Pixel that I bought brand new and really do not like the phone. It's an older Pixel now so doesn't get updates, but I'm definitely not going with a Pixel ever again when I do decide to get a new phone.

With a Tesla, the latest firmware does, what exactly? According to Tesla's website it:
    So I guess that's a good thing.

It does worry me that a lot of devices these days are becoming "smart". TV's, refrigerators, and now cars. And one problem I've seen with this trend is that while 5 years or so of updates for a phone is ok, with your TV's refrigerators and such, these devices are now becoming obsolete due to their software long before their hardware needs any sort of replacing. Hopefully Tesla doesn't end up like that, but given their track record for caring for the Roadster, I'm not holding my breath. Still, I can't thing of any reason why a car like a Tesla Model 3 or Y would become obsolete due to being so old it no longer receives OTA updates.

But you quoted @mikefocke who said he wasn't interested in an Advanced Driver's Assist System that receives updates over the air, as his ADAS does what he needs it to do and doesn't need anymore. I don't see how updating an ADAS via OTA is comparable to going from a landline to a cell phone. If the ADAS on any car has advanced that far via an OTA update, please tell me about it. That would be very interesting to find out about.

6. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The hassle of updated software is that it suggests that the existing software was defective or insufficient for it's current task. But an even more taxing problem that rises is that there is no rule or restriction that preserves the current system capabilities nor does it maintain the user interface that we have gotten used to.

Eventually I will learn to set up android auto to support stored routes with stored way-points. If they don't upgrade it again, before I have a chance to figure it out.

Isaac Zachary likes this.