1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Elon Musk’s big lie about Tesla is finally exposed

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Dec 17, 2023.

1. N4HHE

N4HHE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually park my Model Y with my motorcycle in front. Alway get a chuckle when the Tesla displays a motorcycle with a ghost rider on it!

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then there are those of us who do keep track of such spending, and reject subscriptions / seller annuities for most non-essentials.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  3. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I understand, and I'm still going to go off on a tangent. Sorry. So skip this one if you like:

Ironically, landline phones rarely need to be fixed. I remember still using old rotary phones that were decades old but still working back in the 1990's when some friends started getting their first cellphones. I've waited quite a while to get some cellphones fixed, but don't ever remember waiting to get a landline fixed.

But I digress. At any rate, I still feel that the value of OTA updates will depend a lot on the customer and how much the update actually does. I really don't care about updates on my phone (in fact I don't get any updates on my phone), and I would like to believe that I wouldn't really care about updates on my car. Although, admittedly, if the map were up-to-date and worked on the Avalon, I would use it.

Now if they could fix real car problems with OTA updates, that would be cool. But I can't think of any that wouldn't need a garage except maybe helping one out do their own work, like changing the tire presure sensor codes when one changes their winter tires. I just don't see that being a free update though either. So my question, is for someone like me, what would be the point of OTA updates? I guess I said it with map updates, but that's not a big help to me.

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not exactly OTA updates, but it is still the same mechanism, Tesla sends real-time updates on the status of charging station availability on your route including the number of stalls in use, out of service locations, etc.
    When you arrive at a supercharger that has special amenities (24-hr locked restrooms or a lounge, for example) you get a cypher code to use to gain access.
    If you get locked out of your car you can contact Tesla service and they can remotely unlock your car; they can diagnose errors...in real time while you are driving. You can also report a bug (via voice commands) while you are driving and diagnostic info including video is sent to Tesla so if you bring your car in for service they have all this info.

Edit: I almost forgot. The same mechanism allows the car to send notifications to your phone (anywhere in the world) such as the charging status, windows or trunk left open, sentry mode videos and more. You can also communicate back to the car to open or close windows, start/stop AC or heat, unlock/lock doors, honk the horn, pop open the trunk (for example to allow someone to get or leave a package), start the car for someone who lost a key.
    And of course you can find your car's GPS location and see it on a map in case you lost it or it got stolen.

Mike

#324 3PriusMike, Aug 9, 2024 at 2:48 AM
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2024 at 3:07 AM
  5. BuckleSpring

BuckleSpring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to what @3PriusMike said, OTA allows for the OEM to make the vehicle better over time, handle issues, and lots of other cool stuff. As we move into EVs, vehicles are becoming more and more software-defined than hardware-defined, meaning the backend software controlling everything becomes more important.

In the case of Tesla, there have been updates to several of their vehicles that have tweaked the motor tuning to make it even more efficient, make the car faster, make the charging curve better, etc all without needing to visit a dealer. It can also allow the manufacturer to alter important software tools like the Route Planner as they get more fleet data about efficiency, charge curves, charger availability, environmental conditions, etc. . Or it can add cool features, like High Fidelity Park Assist got added to Teslas not too long ago that uses the vehicle's sensor suite to create a 3d map of your surroundings when at low speeds to assist with parking maneuvers (pics included).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If a company is serious about OTA and has it set up in such a way that it can update powertrain/control modules (like Tesla), you can go even further and do stuff like remote diagnostics. Have a powertrain error? It can be diagnosed remotely, have new software flashed, etc.

The main downside to this is that a lot of manufacturers have been using OTA as an excuse to deliver unfinished vehicles. For example: Tesla launched Cybertruck without like any of the off-road features available, poor suspension tuning, suboptimal steering tuning, among other issues. Or Volvo launching EX30 (and other vehicles) with missing features, and software so buggy it would constantly freeze and shut the car down. Or VW when they launched the ID.4 here in the US that didn't even have a route planner from what I remember. Or Rivian R1S ride quality and handling being almost dangerously bad at launch.

6. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And was one of the main downfall of Fisker.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is poor behavior learned from the computer industry.

8. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I remember BlackBerry releasing their PayBook that needed to be tiered to a BlackBerry phone because it was unable to fetch email by itself at launch.

9. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.

For comparison, I was actually excited when I got my 2013 Nissan Leaf SL. It had an app that let me do cool things like precondition the car and start or stop the charging.

Sadly, I had bought the car in November of 2016. After enjoying it for a little over a month, when January rolled around suddenly it stopped working. I read that AT&T had sunset their 2G service on January 1, 2017. However, you could get the 2G phone module replaced with a 3G module.

So I called my closest Nissan dealer and explained the problem I had and what I wanted done. I also said I wanted two more keys made. They even called me the day before to remind me about the appointment. I drove down there, over some 70 miles in poor weather, getting there with barely anything left in the battery, and they proceed to tell me that they can't work on my Leaf because they don't work on EV's.

I guess that's why I'm kind of down-in-the-mouth about the whole software update thing. I had a $15,000 car budget. With the way rent keeps going up, I've decided my next car will have to be $5,000 if I want to survive. If I get an old Tesla for $5,000 or even $15,000, I feel like chances are that it'll be so old all that over-the-air stuff will not be working. I also feel like I'll be left in a lurch as the closest Tesla repair shop is some 200 miles away. And I'd also like to be able to get my Tesla repaired locally, but with all this software defined stuff, which is all copyrighted, I don't see the chances of any company close buy going to be able to fix my Tesla, or other EV, or any car for that matter because it's not just EV's. I can't get anyone local to fix my Avalon radio for similar reasons.