1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Elon Musk’s big lie about Tesla is finally exposed

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Dec 17, 2023.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what i don't like is legally created monopolies. i have nothing against people who build businesses and make a lot of money.
    i could never have done what bezos or musk have done. and many can't do what i have done.

hill likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    like over 100,000 posts for instance?

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of heavy lifting, i only wish it were profitable. if musk can do it, why can't i?

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mackenzie Scott is really something else. I'm extremely impressed by her methods of philanthropy.

No rules, no restrictions on the gifts. No names on buildings. She just works to find competently-managed organizations that need more money, and gives it to them.

Boom. That's it. The recipients are free use the gifts to do whatever they think needs to be done.

So many times I've read about gifts that were never given or delayed for years because the would-be philanthropist wanted their dollars to be used in a very specific way. Lots of missed opportunities.

One of the local big businesspeople in my area wanted to "give to the arts" and so they bought a house and fixed it up and made announcements and preparations to allow an artist to live there for free for a defined term- with a lengthy list of conditions.

They started the search and went through (at least) hundreds of applicants and never did find anyone that ticked all the boxes.

The place sat empty for 4 or 5 years, the rich guy died without ever finding a recipient for this gift. Not sure of the current status but I doubt it got better on its own.

Ms. Scott has found the better way.

hill likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One worked hard and had the right idea at the right time, building a very successful business.

The other picked a father who owned a gem mine.

I might be able to do one of those. Already missed my chance for the other.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    A lot like a relatively unknown MIT bio-med person who gave up the business world to start up a philanthropic cause after seeing third world citizens having to crawl on the ground lacking useful legs - Dr. Don Schoendorfer;

Free Wheelchair Mission - Wikipedia

7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The 1% they talk about is the net amount. They can make 10 million gross and have 50,000 adjusted income. Depending on the deductions their accountants come up with.
    Like me Bezos must be watching all the old Star Trek series. Humans are built for the gravity on earth. No, people aren’t going to populate the solar system. Like which one, Mars? A trillion people can’t happen on earth, can it? So this shows Bezos is pretty average.
    Every time you order from Amazon, you created the jobs there, not Bezos. That’s another thing they like to think, they are job creators. No Amazon, no Bezos? Someone else gets your orders. You create the jobs. You created Bezos and Musk’s jobs. That’s how I see it.

Trollbait likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to go to borders books. no amazon, i'd still be there. bezos created an 'opportunity'

John321 likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The one that really should trip people out is Netflix. Remember having to get a DVD in the mail? Long before they are online they were calling themselves "Net"flix. Someone there must have traveled through time

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd never heard that story before, that's funny

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk who started netflix, but their father must have owned a gem mine, or else their customers created the jobs.
    the founders have nothing to do with these things and don't deserve any of the profits

John321 likes this.
  12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've got an idea ! Why don't we build out our current infrastructure to accommodate 1 trillion humans to populate this planet and beyond. Just think of all the possibilities. We could also build a quadrillion robots in human form, just think of the gross national products a build out like that could produce.
    Don't forget to buy your new quantum computer with the latest AI, XR from us. We're practically given them away.

When do children stop believing in Santa Claus?

#92 vvillovv, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless I missed something, she must have been extremely generous to agree to take only $38B with her. This (Washington State) is a community property state, so she was legal owner of half of their Amazon stake. They were married before they founded and built up Amazon together, so it wasn't like that was separate property predating the marriage.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who ever thought that one party of a divorce in a community property state would ever walk away with $76B more than the other?

That is a 25%-75% split. In a community property state, the default split is 50%-50% of the community assets (not including any pre-existing separate assets). Amazon was very clearly a post-marriage joint creation, even if she stepped back from operations later.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    keeping a cal bar license in inactive status - means i don't have to pay dues in 2 years @ age 70. woohoo!
    community property rules don't proscribe side agreements that diverge from the general rule - so maybe that's part of the equation. We'll never know. In any event she's one good looking lady & I admire her graciousness with being charitable

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If you program a Newsfeed to give you news about Vehicles - and then choose to post only with Tesla crap news as opposed to Toyota fire risk recalls Etc then reality speaks for itself.
    "caught up w/ it" .....
    more "neutral" Tesla views?
    Considering per million miles' stats ..... their statistics are more favorable than Toyota unfortunately, so that's quite a stretch. Looking forward to your next unbiased news feed that only highlights your sworn enemy.
    certaily nothing click baity about 'em.
    ;)

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a blip on teslas screen, they will continue to outperform everyone except byd

18. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So someone gets one billion dumped on them. At 4% how much annual gross income do they make? More than I could spend let alone need. I think Scott has the right outlook.
    I remember years ago a number on what Gates gets just on his Microsoft dividends, over one million per day, 365 days per year, back then. He was also a big promoter of the lowered 15% tax on dividends when it was being decided. I think msft started paying dividends right after the 15% tax rate was approved. He is very philanthropic though. Still, he was very aggressive in earlier days.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course, other agreements are permitted. But I still see it as extremely generous of her.