1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Embarrassing end to Electrical issue

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Jul 8, 2019.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So...some of you may recall that I had an issue.....light switch would turn on lights in a room -- until it did not -- but the switch only controlled half of each outlet. I think I explained it better in the original thread....

Household electrical outlet question | PriusChat

But, essentially, walk into room and flip the light switch and floor lamps would light up.

Stopped working, replaced the switch, still not working. Tested outlets with mutimeter, etc. Still nothing.

Finally broke down and called electrician. He walked in, switched each light cord to the other half of each outlet and "all was well."

EEEEKKKK! In my defense, I have to say I have been recovering from a horrific injury and I do not think I could have even leaned down enough to switch the plugs. Husband denies doing it.

Ghosts. The dogs? do not know, but I do know that before I call an electrician I will try switching the cords first.

Again, the switch always worked until one day it did not and I changed out the switch -- personally. All I can figure is that about the same time someone (not me that I recall) decided to switch the cords in the outlet.

So, was the switch bad and my replacing it fixed it all. Or was the switch O.K (as I suspect) and someone -- for some reason -- switched the plugs.

I am betting Hubby was cleaning the "dog den" and moved the cords, but did not remember.

I told the electrician to charge me full freight as it would help me purge my embarassement.
    kris

#1 cyberpriusII, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad that was the problem!

You KNOW what it was and how it got fixed, and that it was fixed correctly.

FWIW....I've made similar mistakes without the valid excuse of recovering from any type of injury..... :eek:

Keep healing!

cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "Hubby was cleaning the "dog den" and moved the cords"

I am certain of this.

"charge me full freight"

That's a bit overboard. Confessional here should suffice.

==

BTW Kris, now on NPR rotation, listen to story by fella who got his foot squished, got on opiods, and fought long and hard to break addiction.

The road you did not take...

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had worse brain farts errr cranial flatulence. :oops:

cyberpriusII likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't feel bad.
    My life observation is that with electrical issues similar to yours, the solution is ALWAYS either embarrassingly simple OR horrifically extensive and expensive. You're lucky it was the somewhat embarrassing but simple and cheaper option.

My television in the living room stopped working the outlet was dead. Everything else appeared to be working. It wasn't tied to a light switch.
    I called in professional help, only to find out that for some reason, that specific living room outlet was tied to a safety outlet in the bathroom. The outlet in the bathroom has a overload button. For some unfathomable reason, if it is triggered in the bathroom, it cuts power to that outlet in the living room.
    Who knew?
    Well the electrician did.
    The 10 seconds it took for him to walk in my bathroom and press the reset button.....ughh...maybe not as costly as it was embarrassing.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Clark did it!

maxresdefault.jpg

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I hope you will also post this resolution in the original thread ???

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In North America, we have 'split phase' power in our homes. Two separate hots, 240 VAC difference, come in along with a single neutral, 120 VAC to neutral. Many, many years ago, the fuse for one of the two hots blew. We still had power for some devices but not for others.

I would recommend going to your breaker box and seeing if you have two, main circuit breakers (one tripped) or two fuses (may require opening an access panel.) Work carefully but it really sounds as if half of your power is out. Moving the plugs means the remaining leg is probably facing a higher load and at risk to a fuse blowing or circuit breaker tripping. Then things will get very dark and quiet.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you look at any standard duplex outlet at your local Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. you will notice there is a metal tab that connects both receptacles such that both always have power. This tab can be broken off to make one receptacle always "ON" and the other receptacle can be made to be a "switched" outlet.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Is it plugged in?"

Haha. Oops.

No, I'm not laughing at you, kris. I'm laughing because I've done this before, and I've also helped my smartass engineer grandfather figure out the same problem at his house.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the reason you started a new thread because in the other one you said the upper plug no longer worked, so you moved all the lamps to the lower plug in your o/p?(n)

cyberpriusII likes this.
  12. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use a label maker and label the switched side of any split outlets. This eliminates problems - when you plug into that side you will know it's a switched outlet.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  13. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea why I started a separate thread.

May I blame total embarrassment and a hidden desire to put myself right out in the public "stocks."

[​IMG]

Also, not much of a defense, I am now back to work, in a lot of pain and totally exhausted -- and I am trying to do it without the aid of any support (ie-- pain relief medicine or even a IPA).

As an added curiosity, our breaker box is what I have been told is a "split buss." There is no way to cut power to the panel unless you remove that glass dome thing on the side of the house, which has a lead seal and is not supposed to be touched by anyone but the power company.

So, we have breakers for individual outlets (major appliances) as well as for rooms and "regions" but nothing that cuts all the power.

So, I apologize for the unneeded thread -- but on the bright side, it's not the worst taboo I have violated here.
    kris

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What would be the worst taboo violated? Maybe that should be a thread, but then again, we'd all be violating them all over again. Sorry.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  15. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have NEVER seen a distribution box that did NOT have a "main" breaker (actually two breakers in one).
    Usually a large switch handle either at the top or bottom.

Even the old fuse boxes had huge main fuses.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My house was built in the 70s and has no main breaker. I've seen lots of them like that. But I don't like it.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Multimeter is great but get one of the little $10 plug in GFI tester plugs. That's the best way to test an outlet shows if in phase or missing a ground too and safer and quicker than meter leads.
    If you use it in the top outlet nope no power there that's not it plug it into the bottom outlet oh lovely that works. Done.

Usually the switched outlet is on the bottom of the outlet.

Hang in there kiddo dont be so hard on yourself your not an electrician. Just blame it on the husband and go about your day. That's what my wife does works well for her.

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I avoided one of those on Friday. The dryer had been making a high pitched squeal and the wife was concerned:sick:.

Ended up finding it was the belt tensioner:
    C6FFD0F5-FDC7-475E-A69B-ED1ADDC6BA31.jpeg

Made sure it wasn’t the rollers which was a bit involved:

F1830ADD-FB2A-4522-9E94-14C6C7565E44.jpeg

Had it back together in an hour and problem solved:):

9CF0BB4D-8BD4-49DC-8753-42E2E82DDAA3.jpeg

Out of the dog house for another day(y).

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice one ray.

Only thing I wont touch is a dryer good god you take the cover off the whole thing falls apart.

Very skilled sir to get that baby working again. Well done.

cyberpriusII, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The dryer is actually pretty simple:).

Better than buying a new one or paying an appliance repair person a call out fee;).

Give it a shot next time as there is huge cost savings to be had(y).