1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Embarrassing question -- Web Browser issues on PriusChat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, not only on this forum, but on many Web sites.

I live in Seattle. There are lots of folks I could ask this and probably get a quick answer, maybe even a solution, but a bit embarrassed to admit my Tech Ignorance around here.

So, in the past few months, FireFox seems to have major problems loading web pages. When I open a page, it seems to take forever to load, and the little blue circle at the top of the left-hand page tab keeps going around and around.

If I hit the "X" at the top of the page, that usually stops the loading and things are usually good from there. Google Chrome has a bit of a problem also, but not nearly the problem FF does.

I've done some poking around on Google and have found a fair number of people with the same issues, but the techogeeks who answer usually seem to want to blame the user. From what I gather it MAY have something to do with Adobe Flash and "ad-heavy" webpages.

I have the latest in updates in FF and Chrome, all other programs etc. are up to date. I have a fast (sort of) computer, with basic DSL -- Download speed 3.72 mbps and upload of 0.89 mbps -- PING 11 ms.

Have scanned with Malwarebytes and AVAST.

So, anyone have any thoughts. Is this normal? As I said, it seems to have cropped up in the past few months.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll second the 'Adobe' fiasco. Every other ad has an auto-play flash movie and all they do is eat bandwidth with no useful content. I'm seriously thinking about going with a text only browser.

Bob Wilson

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, so, you are saying I may have it right, and there is no easy solution?

'Cause, if I go to a text-only browser, does that mean I can't use the AshleyMadison Web site? :LOL:

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is really your problem here.

Download speed 3.72 mbps and upload of 0.89 mbps -- PING 11 ms

2ndly, FF is your other problem

xpcman likes this.
  5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you probably have every "Browser Helper" known to mankind loaded into firefox. I suggest you delete them all and get back to the standard Firefox. Most of them are busy sending you adds. Also your broadband is rather narrow. Not much bandwidth I hope it's cheap.

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually do know what browser helpers are -- and always make sure I have none! (y) Other than that, not all that tech-literate.

As for the connection, I know it is slow, but I live in a quirky rural place, which is actually outside Seattle, but not that far out....but only a few folks live out here. A decade ago a company spent the bucks to put in whatever was needed so we could all get DSL. Before that, only dial-up. No cable service out here.

So, pretty much stuck with the DSL. for which I think I pay around $35 per month right now.

I guess satellite internet is a choice, but have heard lots of horror stories there.

So, you guys are saying I am basically stuck and should join Bob Wilson and go text-only? -- and miss out on Ashley Madison? :D

There is not anything I can do to "adjust" flash, etal.

FF is not my "girlfriend." I prefer it because it plays nice with my work e-mail -- ie -- I have no issues connecting to my work e-mail from home with FF. I have big issues connecting with IE (does not work) and quirky issues with Chrome.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just dump the FF and see what happens. Chrome would be much better

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ashley Madison will be mysteriously alluring if there are no pictures. It would add to the thrill.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can recommend CCleaner (it used to be CrapCleaner) to flush your browser caches as well as other 'temporary' files that are not all that temporary.

Download CCleaner 5.09.5343 - FileHippo.com the horizontal green line with white lettering "Download Latest Version"

10. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the rec. Jimbo. I have actually been using CCleaner for at least seven years, maybe longer, when I started, it was indeed CrapCleaner. See the thing is, I am no computer guru, but I do know the basics. No BHO's, clean caches, keep things up-to-date, scan with at least two decent scanners once a week, etc.

Still this whole thing. Maybe Bob and I should go off grid!

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One of the early reports suggested only 10% were women.

Bob Wilson