1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency backup 12-volt battery for Prius options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robert Holt, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A dead 12-volt battery stops a Prius, but since the 12-volt just energizes the computers in the Prius rather than cranking the engine directly only a few amps are required. I found this small, light weight 12-volt Lithium-ion emergency battery at Lowes which will fit under a seat and should have plenty of power to start the computers. It was priced at $80 for Black Friday but normally $100, so pricey but it also recharges cell phones, iPads, etc so multifunctional. The actual battery is that small black brick above the short jumper cables, and it all fits in the black bag on the upper left.
    1417788738559-1271784699.jpg

WilDavis likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good idea, i think a lot of people are carrying booster packs.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Nice packaged external battery and adapters.
    I, in case of need, I use a left over alarm battery (12VDC) and some jumper cables with small alligator clips. It does the job very well.

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good job. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to have your car dead-in-the-water whenever your little 12V aux battery goes dead, even when you have over a kilowatt of electricity on-board.

HybridBull likes this.
  5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wrong unit there! The traction battery capacity can be stated in kilowatt hours, but not in kilowatts:
    Energy Capacity of the Hybrid Battery | PriusChat

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to have your car dead-in-the-water whenever your little 12V aux battery goes dead, even when you have over a kilowatt-hr of electricity on-board.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I`m a little sceptical, just eyeballing the size of the thing, and read some negative reviews.

I picked up a Jump-N-Carry JNC660 for around $160, maybe a decade back. It will easily fit in the under hatch floor tray (but it is the elephant in the room).

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I carry a small lithium-ion battery pack, about the size of a hoagie, designed to plug into the lighter socket. It's capable of boosting a regular vehicle, so it's more than adequate for re-juicing the Prius, and it holds a charge for long periods of time.

It doesn't work through the socket, because the power there is switched, as it is with most cars nowadays, so I use a pair of alligator clips connected to a socket, so I can boost it using the battery terminal in the fuse-box.

Robert Holt likes this.
  9. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    (y)

10. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could you describe its composition and size, and maybe post a picture?

11. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The InstBoost basic brick is also lithium ion and about the size of a hoagie, but I have not disassembled it to see what cells are inside. Did you make your own battery pack or buy one? Could you post a picture?

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is what I bought a couple of months ago (just in case): Mini Multi-Function Jump Starter: BatteryMart.com
    - hope this helps

Robert Holt likes this.
  14. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice video of the Stanley Simple Start. It worked for him but not for several of the reviewers of the Simple Start on Amazon.com. One reson could be that the 2 ampere hour capacity is enough to boost a borderline dead battery for starting, but not a completely dead battery (2000 milli ampere hour capacity was cited by a reviewer as the Simple Start is currently unavailable on Amazon.
    Made me curious, so I checked the documentation for the InstaBoost unit and it CLAIMS to have a 10,000 milli Ampere hour capacity and 400 cranking amps. I have two other vehicles with weak batteries and will try it on those when I cannot start them and report back.

15. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Mini Multi Function Jump Starter looked VERY similar physically to the InstBoost unit I bought and was rated at the same 400 cranking amps for 4 seconds. But the specifications stated 16 Ampere hours , which is better than the 10 Ampere hours stated for the InstaBoost, and the MMFJS unit had many more adapters for charging phones and tablets included with it, whereas the InstaBooost just had the 5 volt DC outlet for that purpose. The price for the MMFJS unit I saw was $90, so slightly more than the $80 sale price of the InstaBoost unit.
    Have you tried to use it? If so, did it work?

16. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, so far, I've used the flash-light, and have charged various phones and laptops all very effectively, however I've not tried it in a real dead-flat automobile battery situation. I thought that if I'm prepared for the worst, it might never actually happen (c.f. the reason I always carry an umbrella in the car is in order to help prevent rain! ;)) - I'm sure the MMFJS will deal with the current requirements of a Prius with no problems, but I'm waiting for the opportunity to arise where I'm able to come to the rescue of a stranded damsel-in-distress (…or she could be wearing a skirt or trousers (pants on this side of The Pond)), with a totally flat car battery, and I am able to save the day with a device no larger than a paper-back book - I did some research on the LiFePO4 technology used in the MMFJS, and was impressed. Hope this helps - Wil

#16 WilDavis, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Robert Holt likes this.
  17. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I will pick-up that spare battery from my messy work area in my former-garage and take a pix. It's so simple......

Robert Holt likes this.
  18. dmeans2anend

dmeans2anend Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Robert,

Have you actually used your Instaboost to charge your Prius on a dead battery? If so, were you able to jump start you Prius with connection under the hood rather than directly on the 12V in the trunk? I have been following your wonderful postings on camping in a Prius. Thanks so much for all the wonderful photos and tips! I am preparing for a month long trip to Utah to explore the great National Parks there (Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonland, Arches, etc) and I am wanting to purchase a portable jump starter and power bank for my car and electronic devices so that if I am stuck somewhere with a dead battery at a remote "primitive camp area", I can easily rescue myself. I have research some portable jump starter / power bank devices on Amazon. One lady with a Prius indicated that with Powerall Jump Starter and Power bank, her husband had to use the connection on the 12V battery in the trunk and that it would NOT work with the connections under the hood. Please advise. I don't want to purchase one of these device only to find out in the middle of nowhere in the desert that I cannot use this portable device to start my car quickly under the hood and have to crawl through the back seat with all my camping gear to the trunk to make that connection .

19. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The big red cable at the jump point is connected directly to the battery (+) post and the body is ground (-).
    I don't see how it can NOT work.......if you do it right.
    Or maybe if there are some really bad connections somewhere on the main battery cables.

mary2al likes this.
  20. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are welcome!
    Have a great time in Utah, and consider also visiting Capital Reef National Park while you are there. Our trip was:
    Ausflug 37 - Mostly Utah
    I have not tried the InstaBoost on the Prius but keep it under the front driver's side seat so that I could get it without crawling into the trunk if the 12-volt went dead.
    I also saw small 12-volt batteries for backup computer power systems in CompUSA today. They are lead-acid so heavy but are sealed so should be ok to store in passenger cabin--price was $35 for one that was about 6"x5"x4".
    We have tried 3 methods for having a flat headboard in front of the folded down seats for sleeping--will you be sleeping in Prius? If so I will post.
    Am completing a mod for having a full-sized spare under the black plastic tub--modified the tub a bit--and have put a bigger base on the Jack and a better crank. I just created the scissors Jack thread and will post the full sized spare mod soon if you are interested.
    Have a GREAT camping trip!