1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency brake adjustment ignored

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Barb Cranston, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Barb Cranston

Barb Cranston Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I asked Spartan Toyota of Lansing to address e brake at 10,000 service interval which was ignored totally. The service writer made a note of it and even told me they'd adjusted the brake, but of course it behaves the same with little or no holding power when applied (after they adjusted it).

I use the brake often to avoid undue strain on the transmission when parked on an incline; the emergency brake had very little foot-lb pressure when new (Spartan quote: "nobody uses the emergency brake anyway!") and Spartan ignored my first complaint re inadequate braking power at rest.

q: anybody else having an issue with their emergency brake and/or dealership who refuses to hear the customers's view?

Any information greatly appreciated.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The easiest way to make a dealer pay attention is to go to another dealer.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never had a dealer who listened in 40 years. they're the experts, not you. they tell you what you need, not vive versa.:rolleyes:
    p.s., did you drive from mass to lansing for service?:p

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IIRC the shop manual calls for 7 clicks, I posted a thread about this at one point. I had to adjust mine at around 15k because it took nearly 15 clicks to fully engage.

If the V is anything like the lift back, all you need is two 10mm boxed-end wrenches to adjust it. It is a 15 min job.

5. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the same issue. I have to push down really hard and i think it only goes 3 clicks. I'm 250 lbs and 6'- if I press hard enough to get seven clicks I think I would rip it off into the floor. Can I take this anywhere to have adjusted? I'd like to stay away from the dealership if possible- I'm new to this area.

6. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No...actually I am very wrong. About 14 clicks later it has little to no effect

7. camry25

camry25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where is this adjustment located?

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Follow the e-brake pedal up...you need to remove the kick panel and the trim pieces of the door and the large piece of trim that also houses the hood release lever (iirc).