1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency brake indicator malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ThetaSigma99, Mar 7, 2005.

1. ThetaSigma99

ThetaSigma99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is just over a month old, and, unfortunately, I've just encountered my first problem with it. :-( When I release the emergency brake (the pedal), the BRAKE light no longer goes off. If I jiggle the pedal a bit, the light goes off and then comes back on. :-( I'm going to bring it in in a week to be fixed. Aww.... Poor Prius.

2. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The master cylinder level being low would also turn on the light. BUt if it is a new Prius(had for a month?)all the fluids should have been checked during Pre Delivery. Maybe take a peak at that, :wink:

3. ThetaSigma99

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rick57\";p=\"70200)</div>
    Thanks. Yeah, it is a new 2005 Prius which I got at the end of January. I'll see what they say when I bring it in in a week. If the master cylinder level were low, would jiggling the emergency brake pedal really affect whether the light was on or off? If I pull the emergency brake pedal towards me with my hand, it goes off, but then it comes back on. It's as if it hasn't fully released-- as if it has a teeny bit more to go. The brake itself is not engaged, but the pedal is apparently not quite coming into contact with whatever it is that deactivates the brake indicator.

4. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it does sound like it is connected with the e-brake. Maybe out of adjustment or switch is loose :roll: That should have been checked also in the pre Delivery. Or maybe it is just a coincidence?

5. ThetaSigma99

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rick57\";p=\"70215)</div>
    Or it could be that the e-brake pedal gets mighty slippery in winter... ;-)