1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency brake - Pre-collision from TSS-P

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by yoyoman, Feb 14, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I see it more as a 'training tool' that gets us back in the good habit of using the turn signals to properly change lanes. For example, I'd gotten lazy when taking an exit off the Interstate when I would just take the exit without signaling.

I don't rely on it to stay in my lane as much as the reminders that I have a steering obligation along with being courteous to signal my intent. Kinda of a 'nanny aid' than an active lane following system.

Bob Wilson

fuzzy1 and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks, I agree with you about that. But what I actually meant to ask was how much, if any, does poor (human) visibility impact the pre-collision system? Ditto for the pedestrian detection system. I'm hoping that they will be an aid to night driving.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well the collision avoidance is radar based. So when I was driving in the Poconos around Wilkes-Barre, I was shocked at how traffic all but ignored slowing down when driving through fog. The mountains put everyone in the clouds. But the radar based, dynamic cruise control kept me at a safe stopping distance from the high-balling trucks. It was the first time the dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance actually made 'instrument driving' possible and I loved it.

About 50 miles down I-81, we left the Poconos and you could see clearly under the solid overcast. I had confidence in the radar based, dynamic cruise control and could experiment enough to see it really is a solid system.

Now our BMW i3-REx is optically-only based so there are times when it won't work: (1) ~10 minutes in the morning; (2) driving into the sun; (3) cresting an overpass where it sees the road signs over the road way, and; (4) fog or heavy rain. But the car sets an alarm and you revert to manual control until the conditions clear.

Bob Wilson

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks Bob! That's what I hoped to hear. My night vision is not good and I'd hoped that this system would help keep the fair citizens of St Paul safe.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a bad allergy season and at one time, my right eye was too inflamed. I was eight miles from home and dynamic cruise control made it a non-event.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It still hasn't happened for me above 15 mph. Only in my garage. When it auto brakes and tries to steer at the same time, you risk understeering and plowing into the car in front. Of course it might not happen and it depends on the speed and situations. I love the auto brake and I think it should be standard in every car like Toyota and Mercedes are trying to do.

And yes I'd never swerve so I don't have to wait behind a car.

#26 'LectroFuel, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017