1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency car battery charger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, Nov 16, 2009.

1. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Costco now carries a newer version of this that includes mini jumper cables.

Costco - Universal Porta-Jump

Anyone tried this? Given the relatively modest starting requirements for the Prius, Costco's return policy and relatively low price, perhaps it might be worth having for an emergency?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is pretty sweet. I'm not sure how it works though since the power outlets do not operate when the ignition is off. Maybe they will let power go through the system anyway?

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You just need to install the "always-on" wiring kit from ElearnAid:

Power Outlet Mod

JeffD

4. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the included mini clamps, you could also attach it the normal way- assuming they fit better than full size clamps on the Prius charging ports.

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a "PowerStation Model PS11" purchased from Costco several years ago. It is larger than the one shown in this thread, but also has an air compressor and a 12V DC power socket to run cellphone chargers, etc., that normally plug into the car itself. This one does not require fifteen minutes, but rather "jumps" the car battery the way you would with another vehicle. It won't fit in the glove box, either. But it sure does the job for me. I think it cost around $60 when I bought it. Charges in a few hours on 110 and then holds that charge for several months.

6. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I was also thinking about this one http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC300XL-Ultraportable-Starter-Light/dp/B000XQ9MGE/ that seems like it would be plenty for our Prius and just handy in case I need to jump someone else, which happens from time to time.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've had one of these (it's linked in above page link, btw):
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000JFJLP6?tag=priuschatcom-20
    for 2-3 years now. Used it to occasionally start up a car I was storing, worked fine. The only gotcha: be careful when re-wrapping the cables, there are sharp edges on the clamps that can chew up the cable insulation. Also: it weighs 15~20 lbs, so I don't think I'd want that weight in the trunk all the time. Good insurance if you're parking for extended time, say at an airport.

8. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up the JNC300XL. It doesn't quite fit in the cargo compartment. It does just barely fit upright under the passenger seat of our 2010 Prius II. Weighs about 10 pounds or so. Might not be enough to jump some cars, but should be plenty for the Prius from what I've read.

9. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used the products that you connect to the battery a couple times successfully. The thing you have to remember with these type things is that you have to remember to charge them, otherwise they are worthless. So if you get it, put down by your spare, and don't need it for 2.5 years, if you haven't taken it out and charged it every so often (mine is every 6 months), it won't do you any good. You'll just have 2 dead batteries. For most people, to remember to charge it is the problem.

It is really hard now-a-days to drain the battery. After 1/2 hour, even if you left your lights on, they turn off, which a healthy batter can withstand.

I used to carry one in all my cars, no I don't, becuase it isn't worth the hassle, I use them so rarely.

10. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is certainly true for cars in general. It does seem like Toyota hybrids have greater than average complaints over 12v battery discharge and battery failures, though perhaps that is just my perception.

11. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's see, 121,000 miles, replaced battery once in all that time.
    Wifes car, 75,000 miles, but mostly short, less than a mile, drives, replaced battery once.
    Old car, Camry, 238,000 miles, I think I replaced battery twice.

Yeah, I think it is your perception.

12. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course, one can ignore all the reports here and on other forums of battery issues with Toyota hybrids in favor of your experience to get a different perception. Incidentally, these chargers won't fix a dead battery that needs to be replaced. They are to jump start one that has been drained too far, but otherwise in working order.

13. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't seen complaints elsewhere, so can't say. How are they using vehicle, taxing battery? And here you have what appears to be thousands of people logging in daily, without a large scale listing of battery problems, so that would say to me that it is pretty rare. There isn't any logical reason why problems with batteries should be limited to the members of any one board.

Yes, the jumpers only jump a drained battery and can no resurect on that has failed for other reasons or can not hold a charge. Totally different issue.

14. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A search just at PriusChat turns up a number of 12V battery issues and various complaints about the design. I see similar complaints about Highlander Hybrids at ToyotaNation. The battery is smaller and somewhat unique compared to a non-hybrid. Obviously, I have no way to know if they get drained more than normal. The Costco one seems like a pretty cheap way to mitigate the problem if you have had issues in the past, if it works. Supposedly the 12V battery need only provide enough juice for the computer to start the car, assuming the traction battery is good.

15. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the complaints though do not involve the battery "discharge and failure" rates being higher than average. Many of the complaints revolve around the expense of replacing the 12v battery on the Prius and the lack of multiple aftermarket options.
    As you yourself said above.
    That is very different than what you initially said about discharge and failure rates. I see and agree with the complaints about the choice and design of the 12v battery, I don't see a lot about extra normal failures and discharges -- which is what you said.
    Sure there is a way to check if they get drained more than others, you could hook up a battery monitor to it if you so desired. or connect a multimeter. If one really wanted to know. Something like a battery bug would work, but there are other products too.

16. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The context of my first comment was greater than average complaints for the battery and I did mention discharge and failure issues as part of that. Semantics aside, if you don't think 12v battery issues are abnormal on the Toyota hybrids, then by all means a charger isn't a good purchase for you. I have no problem with that at all.

For those who have had problems or a concern, then there are some products here that might be of interest.

17. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    did mention discharge and failure rates?
    No it wasn't two different things, you said "Toyota hybrids have greater than average complaints over 12v battery discharge and battery failures". So that may not have been what you meant, and that is fine, we all do that. But you did not say something like "a lot of complaints about the 12 V batteries. Some of those are even about discharge and failure."
    You didn't do it as a separate sentence or even add a comma. I don't know how else to read that except that you are claiming a number of complaints above average about the discharge and failure rate of the 12v battery.

I have no less than 3 battery chargers in my garage, so it isn't about if it is a good purchase for me. I just think to say that the 12v batteries in Hybrids discharge and/or fail more frequently than other vehicles, is not bourn out by the facts.

And no, the battery that went 100,000+ miles and 6 years was not hooked up to a battery tender/monitor/charger. I rarely go a week without driving the Prius, so I never saw the need to hook it up. And it never showed signs of needing a charger, even after a 11 day lay up. For most people they shouldn't have a concern, anymore than they would with a normal car, say if they leave it at a vacation home and don't drive it sometimes for months. There isn't anything I have seen or your have put forth that the 12v battery in a hybrid needs to be treated any differently than the 12v battery in a non-hybrid.

And if your suggested solution is a battery charger, then that doesn't help with the location of the battery, nor the choice of battery by Toyota. A charger would only be a solution to a discharge or fail problem, so wouldn't that go back to you first comment only being about discharge and failure rates?

18. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure, though you quoted me out of context and left out parts of the sentence you put in italics and underline. Those phrases pretty clearly indicated that I had no conclusive data on the matter.

If I gave any impression that I had statistically solid evidence, I apologize for that and the missing punctuation as well. It was indeed my perception, as I stated, based only upon anecdotes from reading Toyota hybrid forums. If I'm wrong, then indeed I wasted $25 on a product foisted on the gullible. As it turns out, it's now in the glove box of my Highlander Hybrid. The interior light override doesn't actually keep the kids from leaving the lights on. So, user error is a very real possibility for draining the 12v batter in a manner where an emergency charger could be handy.

19. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what parts did I leave out?
    and out of context? that is hard to argue when the part that addresses the issue I simply cut and pasted and the whole of your comment is available a few spaces above.

I didn't fault you for lack of conclusive data alone, but any data. And Mostly for suggesting that the battery in a Toyota hybrid needed to be treated any differently than that in any other car.
    Yes leaving an inside light, or any other electrical drain on, can drain the battery of your Toyota hybrid. Certainly. But how is that different than any other non-yybrid car out there?
    No the auto off doesn't prevent someone from leaving the lights on, of course not. But if you have a healthy battery, it will prevent that one left on light from draining your battery. Again, just like most other cars. In fact in my case, that was the first clue I had that my 12v batter was going, when a light was accidentally left on, and the battery died before the auto shut off kicked in.

It isn't a product foisted on the gullible, if you are talking about what I think you are talking about. They, as far as I know, didn't say you needed it more because you were driving a hybrid. It is a product for just in case. All I am saying is you have no more need for that in your Highlander, than if you bought nearly any other non-hybrid car. The exception would be a car without auto off, where you would likely need the jumper more.

20. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi. Yes, you quoted my post out of context. You left out the first part of the sentence, "It does seem like" and the last part, ", though perhaps that is just my perception." Ironically, you even left out the comma I included. Yes, those qualifiers clearly make it an opinion, rather than a statement of fact, as it appeared when you quoted it out of context. Sure, someone could go back a page or find it in your quote above to get the whole context, but why not just quote it all if you are going to emphasize it again for some reason? It's not like it was an entire paragraph or something. When you fault me because you don't know how else to read that sentence, it seems pretty relevant to include the entire thing.

Aside from that, I apologize if my comments are upsetting. My intent was to post a link to an item that was a new version of one posted earlier in the thread. I also stated an opinion that seemed relevant, as I've accidentally drained my battery before in non-hybrids. I've also seen complaints about the battery drain issue here, at Toyota Nation and elsewhere. It happens. Is it statistically more common than non-hybrids? No, I admit that I can't say for sure. If you have statistically sound and conclusive data, by all means prove my hunch wrong and no offense will be taken.

For those that have had problems with their 12V battery or have had similar issues on other cars because of their habits or are concerned about anecdotal reports they have read online, then perhaps this gizmo might be of use. For everyone else, save the money. That is all. It's no conspiracy to sell these things. You obviously have a different opinion, and that's great. You may well be right.

Cheers!