1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency! I lost a key fob!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J wil, Jun 7, 2022.

1. J wil

J wil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I’m at Busch gardens with my daughter… Last night I discovered that my keys were missing probably got flung out of my pocket on a ride… I am 1.5 hours from my home. At home I have an old key fob that I was not using because it got soaked in a swimming pool… The batteries completely seized and its position on the fob… Will the chip still work if press directly against the start button? The electronics look pretty nasty on it. The good fob was lost With the keys. Lost and found hasnt found anything yet. Here are my options...
    1. Get a ride home and hopefully that key fob that is completely corroded will work
    2. Hire a locksmith that can produce another fob.
    3. Have locksmith open car and we do the “jump start” with jumper cables on the fuse box
    Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will if everything is okay with it, but i can't promise that. weigh the effort vs getting a tow to a dealer and coughing up $1,000.? which may happen anyway. or with the old for, they 'may' be able to program a second for $400.
    another thought, try some mobile locksmiths and describe your problem.

3. J wil

J wil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To answer this forum at a mobile locksmith is going to make a fob for 386 aftermarket

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not the worst outcome, congrats.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The corroded key will work. Using Thechstream or the equivalent, a Toyota dealer or locksmith can program another key and remove the lost key from the system. Since you have the corroded key, the system needs not be reseeded as if all keys are lost.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i lost my rental car keys in disneyworld in 1985. i rented it in the keys and drove one way to orlando.

i thought i was out of luck, but at the end of the day, we went to lost and found and some kind person had turned them in.

CR94 likes this.