1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency key

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mesnyder1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. mesnyder1

mesnyder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I recently drove away from home in my other car with my smart key on my keyring, forgetting that I also had my wife's smart key in my jacket pocket. So she couldn't drive our Prius v since I had both keys. So I decided we need an emergency key that will allow us to unlock and drive the Prius v even if we're missing both smart keys.

I'm not interested in the smart key functions, just a metal key to unlock the door and the right rfid transponder that I can hold up to the start button to start the car.

I got a metal key made at the locksmith, but they couldn't detect the transponder in the smart key. So I'm halfway there. The blank they used was a JMA TOYO-30.P. It has a slot that you can put an rfid transponder into.

From what I've read in the other forums, I should be able to buy a used non-SKS key fob, program the car to recognize the transponder, then remove the rfid tag and install it into my metal key.

Is that correct? Is there another way to get the right transponder? Anyone know the part number? Thanks!

Mark

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How to Program a Toyota Smart Key | eHow.com - This suggests how to do it... Not sure how accurate it is though.

Edit - Whoops... Looks like this only works with ignition based smart key using Toyotas, not the current push button ones.

3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I searched on smart key in the Gen III forums and it sounds like you need the dealers help with the new fobs. There was some good spare "key" ideas in posts #32 & #33 from this thread : http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-how-far-can-you-drive-without-key-fob-4.html

It sounds like Toyota has the key fob security very tightly controlled in Gen III and newer Prii. Let us all know what you get to work on the Prius v (wagon).

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is correct for the Gen2, but the newer Prius doesn't have a separate transponder in the keyfob. You can use a Gen3 keyfob without the battery for RFID-only type function, but you'll have to register the thing as a full function SKS device first.

It's pricey, but it does make sense to buy a new keyfob, get it registered, then take the battery out and hide it somewhere inside the car. Without the battery, the car won't get all upset about leaving a key inside the car. And you'll be able to start the car by holding it near the Power button. If you actually do lose a primary keyfob, you can always put a battery back in the spare and use the full SKS function.

1 person likes this.
  5. mesnyder1

mesnyder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yikes. I was hoping to avoid having to buy a new SKS fob. And it sounds like getting a used one probably won't work either.

One thing the locksmith tried was cloning the rfid tag in my SKS fob, but he couldn't read it. I'm wondering if the tag can't be read when the battery is in? I thought the fob was using a passive static rfid tag, but maybe it's a powered dynamic one that reverts to static mode when the battery is out, if that's possible.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I actually tried to get my Gen2 keyfob transponder cloned. The locksmith's equipment recognized a transponder, and he actually created a clone. Unfortunately, the car didn't think much of the clone...:mad: That car now has an emergency transponder key with the transponder liberated from a real Prius keyfob.

The Gen3 doesn't have a separate transponder in it like the Gen2. I don't know what technology they're using for the "hold it next to the Power button" function, but it's not an ordinary transponder that locksmiths know how to clone.

You can get a used keyfob registered. The problem is that it requires doing a seed reset, a process that requires an extra half hour of the mechanic's time. A shop that charges $50 to register a new key would probably charge $150 to register a used key. Many shops don't even know how to do the seed reset process.

Someone succeeded in registering a new Gen2 keyfob with a chicken dance (DIY, no dealer or equipment!). Take a look near the end of http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html . I don't know if the same procedure works with Gen3.

7. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I jumped the gun with my first New, OEM fob. I didn't know about "the chicken dance" at the time, and just used TS to Add it. If I had it to do over, I would have tried to program the New/OEM fob via the chicken dance first, to see if it worked. Then, if it failed, used TS.

Maybe the opportunity will arise sometime in the near future...

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Why did you have your wife's fob in your jacket if you already had yours with you?

Just curious... :)

9. mesnyder1

mesnyder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had driven her car the day before, and since the cars are kept in the garage, we normally leave the keys in the cars. So when I took her car, the keys were in it, but ended up in my jacket pocket when I got to my destination. And since I don't need to take them out to start the car, they stayed there.

1 person likes this.
  10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's better to store your fobs farther away from the cars. A fob in range will cause the SKS to chatter, carrying on a lively "I'm here, are you there?" conversation. It will lead to early battery failure for the fobs and the 12V battery in the Prius.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  11. mesnyder1

mesnyder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. What is the range? Is 5 feet away from the car far enough?

12. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 person likes this.
  13. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still have an idea waiting in the wings to address this issue, but until I work out its feasibility, I might be willing to travel. Get enough Toyota/Lexus owners together, willing to cover my actual costs, and I will provide whatever TS service they'd like, probably wherever they like.

I'm overdue for a vacation :rockon:

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably, but it depends on many variables.

Tom