1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency spare FOB and hide a key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exmetrodriver, Oct 1, 2014.

1. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

SW WASHINGTON the real Washington (Bought 08/15/14
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see what you are saying and the reason you are saying it and that makes a lot of sense and thank you for pointing that out to me. Will wrapping the smart key in aluminum foil do the shielding or does it need to be something else and if so would you please share with me what you would suggest?

I am still wondering if there are a lot of people who don't know that that Smart Key fob has the passive RFID like function and in that case if the smart key battery was to go dead they could still start their car by putting the smart key in the dashboard key slot? I don't remember reading about this in any of the Toyota documents that I have read but maybe I have missed it somewhere.

Thank you very much Jeff for your help and the same to anybody else who has added to my learning about my Prius.

Jim

#21 93dawg, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unnecessary post.

#22 93dawg, Oct 7, 2014
  3. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unnecessary post.

#23 93dawg, Oct 7, 2014
  4. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought in my owner's manual it mentioned how the FOB was designed to not need a battery... Use mechanical key for door and dash-slot for ignition when the FOB battery died.

edit: It's pages 20-22 in my 2005 Owner's Manual PDF.

#24 Scallywag, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I believe this is what everyone is saying:

The battery in the fob remote is to power a remote lock/unlock signal or trigger a panic signal. Dead fob remote batteries, no more remote lock/unlock and panic. This applies to Smart and non-Smart Key Systems.

Both Smart and non-Smart key fob systems have a passive RFID "chip" embedded into the remote. Your car is programmed to recognize allowed key fobs to Start the car. Your key fob won't start my car and visa versa. If you have a Smart Key System, the short range antennas in the front doors, trunk hatch, and ignition fob slot, are looking for an allowed starting fob. When an allowed starting fob remote is in range, you are able to unlock or lock the doors by depressing that small square black button on the door handle or trunk hatch, or start the car, if inside. No more pulling out your remote to lock/unlock, or insert fob into key slot to start the car.

J-Preezy and Scallywag like this.
  6. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info Scallywag. I don't know how I missed that. I will look that up in my manual. It might be that I didn't realize what it meant when I read it..haha...

Thank you "exstudent" for the explanation.

I appreeciate all the help I can get learning all about my Prius.

Scallywag likes this.