1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emissions and Fuel-Cost Savings of Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by samlal, Apr 16, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The goal of the subsidies is to move the price of a battery down to about $300/kwh. Assuming that that actually happens, which may take a long time, that still would still leave just the battery of a 100 mile Plug in Prius at $10K. The ability of toyota to add a $10K battery to prius and charge $25000 with no subsidies is not remotely in the realm of reason. The tech to do 100 mile EVs is here, just look at the tesla roadster and soon to be released S, they are not $25K though.

You are correct sir, we won't see a 100 mile pip in 3 years. The batteries are just too expensive even with the subsidies, for Toyota marketing to decide to do this. The sweetspot for phevs CD range for the us market is likely in the 15-60 miles and I would expect the next generation of toyota phev to fall somewhere in that range.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I used GC's number -- he is pretty clued in to diesel fuel economy.

Here though is a Peugeot link of its Volvo V60 hybrid diesel twin, the 3008.

NEDC is 74.4 mpg.
    Before you start frothing, remember that EPA = ~ 83% of NEDC, and the UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons. So US EPA MPG calculates out to
    (74.4*.83)/1.2 = 51.5 MPG.

in terms of CO2 emmisions in the NEDC, the diesel hybrid is 99 grams/km, while the Prius is rated 89 grams/km.

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You said :

Volvo says:

HYBRID Mode: This is the car's default mode upon start-up in which both the rear-wheel drive electric motor and the front-wheel drive 215 horsepower turbodiesel engine work together. In this mode Volvo claims the car can return 124 miles per gallon and emit less than 49 grams of CO2 per kilometer.

What you describe is not what is generally considered hybrid mode. What Volvo describes above is hybrid mode, concurrent blended use of battery and engine vs. what you describe as depleting the battery and then running on Diesel.

Volvo says 125 mpg in HYBRID MODE. They may have misspoken, I can only go by what they actually said and what you actually said. Perhaps you misspoke and did not mean battery depleting and then Diesel?

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Your words, not mine. I said blended mode.

HV mode means all motive energy originates from the petrol (diesel.) The battery acts as a flywheel.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't waste your energy. He's after an argument.

6. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok I thought you were quoting a us diesel. Its ok I just wanted to see the stat.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Volvo V60 plug-in is a plug-in.
    Link

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm smelling a rat here. Two new members, both signed up in March 2012, both confrontational against a number of existing members. Both found around the same threads and both write in a similar manner.

A couple of trolls in my eyes too.

Perhaps there should be a 'report' option so new members that quickly get argumentative can be kicked off. I've been on this forum for years and it's usually a chilled place to be, yet lately with certain members it's become the opposite.

Shame there's not an ignore option. :)

9. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well its pretty good for a 215hp awd. But remember the 40mpg there is EU standard cycle, which is much easier test.

The Opel Ampera official equivalent fuel consumption under the EU-approved UN ECE R101 standard for plug-in hybrids is1.2 L/100 km (196.0 mpg-US; 235.4 mpg-imp) (83.3 km/l). However, a leading Opel engineer prefers saying 169 Wh/km while battery-powered, and then 20 km/l petrol-powered. 20km/l is 47mpg.