1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emissions problem

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Josh331, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Josh331

Josh331 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    53080B70-9AD7-442D-8FCB-A36B6B5C3CBB.png So my car is spitting out tons of emission codes, the low power has already been fixed, but with what you guys see on the paper, would a vapor canister do the trick? I literally know nothing about this. My buddy has a vapor canister that would sell me for $100 so I would install that if I knew that would fix the emissions, if not how much would a shop typically charge to fix? Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh, that looks like a puzzler. If you really feel like replacing something without knowing what the problem is, I guess the canister wouldn't be any worse part to throw at it than anything else. Also, in doing the work to get to the canister to replace it, you could possibly spot what the problem is.

Otherwise, diagnosis would be called for first. Evap systems are fiddly to diagnose. I'd recommend referring not just to the Repair Manual (more info) but to the Toyota technician training materials for evap diagnosis (same place, under the technical library tab up top).

I would probably start by getting hold of Techstream and using an active test to turn that pump on and off, see if it runs. Curious to have codes both for stuck on and for stuck off. Techstream might show freeze-frame icons for both codes, show what was happening at the time each one was logged (presumably they weren't both logged at the same time!). If there's a relay involved it could be a likely suspect, especially if you can catch it in the act with an active test.

Because evap diagnosis is fiddly, some shops might not be very clueful about it, and more clueful ones might not be very cheap. Would have to get some recommendations and call around. Those situations are the kind where DIY can lead to better outcomes, if you're willing to study up a bit.

Cosmo Tigato likes this.
  3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly, half of your problem is the place your using to check for codes. You either need to go to a Toyota dealership or download TechStream and check the codes yourself. If you continue to rely on a Non-Toyota code reader - your going to spend a crapton of money replacing parts and chasing false leads.

Cosmo Tigato and Pri3C like this.