1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emissions self-test monitors not clearing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NiallS, May 31, 2022.

1. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

We recently replaced a stolen CAT with a genuine Toyota part (ouch) and new O2 sensor. I also fitted a new ECM as the theft (or subsequent running) seemed to have damaged the original.

The emissions self-test still hasn't completed after ~400 miles of driving. Should I just drive it more, or is there something else going on? There are no DTCs showing.

Screenshots from the "Car Scanner" app attached ...

Niall

IMG_8205.png IMG_8206.png

2. spdracrm3

spdracrm3 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Two things a certain set of criteria have to be met for test to run to completion ( temps at cold start , length of time sitting since last run , idle time after start, maintaining certain speed for x minutes without accel/decel......).
    So your probably just not getting one of the parameters .
    Second in most states your allowed 1 or 2 readiness monitors "not set" to still pass emissions test. Worth calling to ask and you may be good to go with only that evap not run. (Assuming that page is after driving awhile so all but one are set)

SM-G960U ?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It looks like the only monitor that hasn't passed since the DTCs were cleared is for the evap system.

Is your app able to pull up the Mode 6 test results for that system?

I am not sure exactly what your app means when it says "not passed". The actual status of a monitor test, as seen in Techstream in the All Readiness utility, can be incomplete (no judgment yet), complete with a normal judgment (so we know it's ok), complete with an abnormal judgment (so we know there's a problem), or unknown (something went wonky in the test, preventing completion with any judgment).

It's useful to know which of those things has happened, so I hope the app isn't just saying "passed" for complete with normal judgment, and "not passed" for everything else.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll do some assumptioning here, but since the developer of the Car Scanner app is apparently from Russia, I think that his understanding of the fine points of OBD2 nomenclature and accepted useage might be less than 100%. I think that Not Passed should be Not Ready or Incomplete.

5. drone13

drone13 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know about NY, but in CA the evap system not ready still passes emissions since that test can take a prolonged period of time. Only an evap failure (leak detected, purge solenoid not working, etc.) would cause a failed emission test. Check NY emission testing criteria, but it's probably very similar to CA.