1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emissions Testing: Why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fragglestickcar, Nov 11, 2018.

1. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Justin Hughes writes in thedrive.com:

Myself, friends and family have spent thousands on repairs to the emissions system of our cars. As a software guy, I'm familiar with the following phenomenon. Company produces core program that just works. Politics, usually in the form of a client rep wanting to make a name for himself, convinces company to add an unwieldy feature that no one uses but is highly prone to failure. Entire industries emerge to deal with what are problems of our own making (think tax accountants and indecipherable IRS codes).

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the point being?

What's the solution?

Or you're just saying an opinion?

Only thing I can add is that as a software guy you're also aware of entire industries disintegrating, like classified ads in newspapers or travel agents, simply because web-based services made those economic engines irrelevant. Likewise, if we all owned Teslas or Tesla-like cars build by automakers were actually competing with Tesla rather than just being a stick in the mud, all those emission testings and associated repair costs would be the burden of where our electricity was sourced from, not the burden of us directly.

3. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That would be swell, as economies of scale would reduce this cost per user a hundred or thousandfold.
    There's no solution and not much of a point. Just a realization that emissions testing continues to represent a large and unnecessary redistribution of wealth.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Emissions testing came about in response to a number of industry concerns related to air pollution:
    - OEM systems that were ineffective (failing a test while under emission warranty would cost the OEM)
    - Emission tampering by the consumer (tooners/chips, etc)
    - Poorly maintained vehicles that produced pollution well in excess of "normal"

All testing was an attempt to curb the above conditions, if not eliminate them. The simple facts are that the older the vehicle, the more important it is emissions compliant, because even a small control issue can generate massive emissions failures, relative to newer vehicles. This is, in part, because the older vehicles started out so much "dirtier".

5. Aztechmaster

Aztechmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's not a coin toss on if you need repairs or not, as modern vehicles have systems to warn the driver of problems. Many people drive around with undiagnosed check engine lights on. Small issues can compound and become much larger and more expensive when these warnings are ignored. I specialized in emissions repair when I lived in AZ. It has made vehicles cleaner and far more efficient. It's not uncommon to cars with 200k miles with the original catalytic converter still working fine when the car is properly maintained.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

srellim234 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can only say it is better than no testing. government regs are never a panacea, but usually better than nothing.
    i was in the groundwater environmental business for years. there's some good work being done, but also a lot of superfluous requirements and downright nonsense. still better than poison drinking water

it is impossible for governments, or even businesses or individuals for that matter, to be 100% efficient.
    driving is expensive. purchase, insurance, registration, taxes, maintenance, repairs.

i'm not sure about the alternatives...

kenoarto likes this.