1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enable rear camera display while driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by moazam, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra ELECTRIC VEHICLE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Works for me. Thanks.

Hold the Info button down and turn your headlamps on/off 4-5 times then you just need to make sure you press and hold the the buttons in the menu down for at least 5 seconds or they don't work.

I have a Canadian Technologoy Pack (back up cam, solar panals, radar cruise control, etc).

2. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    THANK you so MUCH!

3. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I HONESTLY thought this was a joke. But I tried it and sure enough up comes the screen. Very funny.

I have no problem doing the finger dance and it is much less abuse on the lights. For those that are having problems with the finger dance, here is my suggestion. It doesn't matter what main menu you are in as long as you press the DISP button to get the two horizontal lines. Once the lines are displayed, don't tap too close to the lines. Make sure you tap below the top liine and above the bottom line. Also, you don't have to tap in the corner, about an inch from the side of the screen is fine. And last you don't have to tap too fast. You can actually do it with one finger. It takes a total of 6 alternating taps (3 on top and 3 on the bottom).

1 person likes this.
  4. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Used it today, really helped! Believe it or not, that fish eye lens does wonders for covering my blind spot. Only thing I don't like,.. seems that you are in a set up and calibration mode in order to bring up the camera. It would be nice if I could get rid of the banner at the top. Haha, but awesome trick.

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you get the rear camera to appear? Or was that part of the menu greyed out?

6. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did we establish that it only works for a package V?

7. P3III

P3III Gen 1 and Gen 3 owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was able to activate the service menu on my 2010 III with NAV after reading the post by rstark18. However, the camera option is grayed out and cannot be accessed. :rolleyes:

8. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine was greyed out (pkg III w/ solar). I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that the AT package is required to access the camera menu through the service menu.

I'm hoping that someone with a lot of time and patience will find a secret menu for the camera.

9. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was unable to finger-dance to the service menu but did get there by holding down the Info button and switching the headlights on and off 3 times! As suspected, the camera was greyed out.

I played a little with the voice recording and playback though. At one point I was afraid I'd lost my display altogether - I was on the color definition screen and when I touched blue it went to a plain blue screen, with no buttons to get out of it. Pressing and holding the Disp button restored it though.

10. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    rachaelseven...is this something you can tweak with using the dealer software that you acquired? It would be sweet if we could confirm that...then go dig at our local dealerships to see if we could get one of the techs to activate it...

11. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't seem to be. Afaik, that menu is supposed to be for calibrating the camera related to the IPA (parking assist) function. In Techstream, you'd reach the equivalent camera calibration operation through the IPA ECU diagnostic page. But since only V/ATP cars have the IPA ECU, that option doesn't come up through the Techstream any more than it does through the NAV service menu. I'll take another look next time I plug in, but I'm pretty sure that without the appropriate ECU, that function just doesn't exist at all. Sucks :mad:

12. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, the only reason it can be called up at all for calibration is directly linked with the ability for the car to park itself. It is just a calibration for adjusting the computer to realize if the camera might be misaligned or is off. Since the system isn't on non-atp cars it isn't accessible.

I noticed one neat thing on it though. I would think they could incorporate the lane keep assist using the rear camera. When you are at a certain speed, deviating from the lane would be easily detected from the rear too. Buicks have the cameras mounted on the rear view mirrors looking down at the lines. I find my state has pretty crappy roads and lines, and my LKA is basically worthless. Throw into that, I hardly use the Nav, and I've used the auto park once. (Mainly because there are so many people on the road, no one wants to wait while you set up the car to park itself.) It's all just kind of non helpful.. I wish I would have went with the solar roof. :p

Love my car though!

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Won't help with steering though as it can't look ahead to detect a curve.

14. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder if we could drop in an ECU from a V and have additional functionality ready...or if we just need to reflash our existing ECUs with the V firmware. I know a guy in AZ that does this for Hondas...i'll hit him up to see if he knows anything about Toyota ECUs.

btw R7...I'm still digging for that Techstream software...getting tired of going to random forums/russian sites/warez/torrents, etc...but i'll find it eventually ;)

15. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does yours actually help with steering? If I take my hands off the wheel, it acts drunk, completely unpredictable, most of the time it runs off the road and then just beeps. I find it useless, and annoying. Maybe mine is faulty?

But yeah, totally agreed. It would only be for an alarm to let you know you were departing the lane.

P.s. I saw a video on youtube, and their LKA seemed to do a MUCH better job than mine does.

16. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think its a matter of reflashing any of the ECUs (there are lots of Electronic Control Units in the Prius) - I believe it is a question of actually adding a separate control box that does the parking (and possibly other) functions. Perhaps could be added, although the V does have a different harness than the I-IV, so quite possibly not. But even if it could be, I doubt it would be inexpensive.

17. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just picked up the techstream software today...which cable are you using? I want to start playing in there to see what options are available. I know that on my old ford focus (2003), the dealer had to reflash the main ecu twice due to issues with the fuel system that were somehow related to either old firmware or corrupted firmware on the ecu.

based on that and give that the prius is 7 years newer and lightyears ahead in terms of tech, i would bet that we have an option somewhere to reflash or reprogram the existing main ecu using the V firmware. I'm not ready just yet to jump in and try this (nor do i have firmware files for any prius just yet)...but I am definitely going to dig into this more. i'm not that interested in anything other than activating the camera on the fly at this point...but i'm sure there are other possibilities as well.

18. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The cable I am using is called Mongoose MFC, made by Drew Technologies.

19. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My preliminary search shows that it's $495...is that close to what you paid or am i looking at a kit vs just the cable?

20. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is list price and what I paid. It's not really a 'kit', just a cable and driver disk, that's it. One user reported finding it for $330, I believe on eBay, so might be worth a bit more searching. Just make sure you get the Mongoose MFC (tested and proven) and not the Mongoose ISO/CAN (untested, may or may not work).