1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enable rear camera display while driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by moazam, Aug 8, 2009.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You must keep your hands on the steering wheel in order for it to "steer," a safety function so people don't fall asleep while driving, etc. It won't seem like it's actively steering, but it does nudge in the correct direction and I've had to fight this "nudging" when I forget to activate the blinker while changing lanes.

Also, it won't "steer" and will only beep if you're traveling below a set speed as specified in the manual.

2. that.ubercool

that.ubercool New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Excellent. Thanks.. will give it a shot today.

3. empcesar

empcesar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any progress made on this for those without the V?

4. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not that I know of :(

5. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's not illegal to have your rearview mirror blocked. You don't need your rearview mirror to drive legally.

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here in CA you have to have 2 working rear view mirrors. If you have tinted rear windows, you must have 2 side mirrors. Same goes with panel vans and wagons used for commercial purposes.

7. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    YES, I did it too. Thanks a LOT!!! I also couldn't finger dance so I tried the headlights and it worked every time. How do you guys figure it out, hmm, must have insider information, eh? Are you sure this is not illegal as in stock trading?

I'm happy like a kid figured out how to play his toy, but,
    The reverse camera's angle was way too low to see anything further than maybe 20-30 yards away. The cam was staring at the road so closely that the lane markers and turning arrows are zipping by on the screen that it made me dizzy.

I think it's still quite useful in some rare cases where you load up the cargo area right up to the roof and block the rear windows. I don't think I'd turn on the reverse camera routinely though. Just don't feel comfortable looking at it constantly.

Ha, I wonder how it looks at night. Would it help brighten up the scenery from the back, reduce the glare of headlights, or becomes dark and snowy and useless. Gotta try it out some nights.

8. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got it working today but the top is blocked. I also find it annoying that when it's in the white/green screen the audio is turned off.

9. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, i thought this was a neat function, but so many people saying that it was/wasn't working, so of course, i had to try it.

First of all, i am Canadian, so my model may vary slightly from US/ROW (rest of the world). I have the fully loaded, leather, nav, sunroof package (believed equivalent to IV with NAV).

I really wasn't feeling the finger dance, so i didn't even try that way. however, holding the INFO button and turning lights off/on once (they were in auto position to start) brought the hidden menu. no need to turn on/off forever, it worked the first time for me. once i was in that menu, the Camera settings button was not greyed out and i was able to access it no problem.

however, as mentionned earlier, the other "Sub-menus" were actually "Bleued" (not totally grey, but not black either). i tried pressing them like any other settings, but it wouldn't work. you have to HOLD them for about 3-5 seconds and then you are allowed in those menus.

overall, it worked fine for me. I had a look at the other menus, but didn't feel confortable playing around with anything else though.

hope that will be helpfull for you.

Edit: forgot to mention, the camera WILL work while driving like that, however, due to the lines at the top and reduced viewing area, i didn't really like it. but i guess if you can't see because of obstructed view, it's better than nothing!

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has anyone activate the reverse wire to see if the camera would come on? The top being blocked and the audio disabled is really annoying.

11. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For those who are still curious, I just did the mod. Behind the stereo there's a gray 5 pin plug, The reverse signal wire is the pink wire. Feeding the stereo with +12V activates the reverse camera. To prevent backfeed to other ECUs, you should cut the wire and use a 2 position ON-ON SPDT switch. The common goes to the pink wire toward the radio, the normally closed goes to the pink wire toward the car. The normally open goes to the +12V source. This mod shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to do. The switch shouldn't cost more than $5.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is sweet! is there any way to add machine guns or an oil slick for the guy tailgating me?

1 person likes this.
  13. Fla Fla Flo Fly

Fla Fla Flo Fly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Definitely interested in the oil slick mod

14. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey guys I messed up! I have a v ATP . I was able to get in the service menu. I was messing with "brush" settings and "memorize center and max steering" then I pressed and held display and navi restarted.
    I backed up and screen said system not ready. So I went back to service menu and "reset/clear".
    It still says "system not ready" when I back up. Park Assisit is also not working now.
    How do I fix if?

15. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here are pics.

Attached Files:

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What are your current settings for these? Might be possible to change back to default and get IPA back to within the correct parameters to work.

17. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I tried actually. And saw another new thing. Watch this video of a European Prius with ATP. It shows "verify mode" when backing up. Yes the yellow box skews when wheel turns ! I got to that setting and the box was skewing with the turns of the wheel but only in setting mode. I pressed display and Nav restarted and same error msg "system not available"
    I don't know what the correct settings are now.
    But do check out this video.

18. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Chris2128: I believe that error message will go away if you try the auto park, although this will not reset the changes you made to default values. Please let us know if pushing the auto park button clears the error message. :confused:

19. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Your photo of the display settings is identical to settings for my V with ATP. Cancel out of the settings by holding The DISP button for about 4 or 5 seconds and push the auto park button and that screen warning will clear. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  20. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ahhh thank God ! First I was feelin like :frusty: but then I managed to get it back to normal !! :clap2:
    The auto park button did not help. Instead it gave me 2 strange tones meaning something is wrong with the system.
    My instinct told me that I lost the calibration somehow.
    Later today, I messed with the "verify mode" skew feature calibrated the steering angles . That was the whole trick.
    My suggestion , no one should ever touch the service menu settings again. :nono:

Here's my 1st ever video for my car.