1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

End of the hybrid era?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Old Bear, May 20, 2018.

1. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is an interesting article on the Clean Technica web site which suggests that PHEVs and BEVs soon will replace conventional hybrids as the "technology of choice" for many consumers. The article bases this observation on sales trends in California:

Hybrid-PHEV-BEV-sales.jpg

In the above graph, California sales of PHEVs, BEVs, and FCEVs in 2017 totaled 96,731 units versus 88,698 hybrids. That puts conventional hybrids at only 47.8% of the low/zero emission vehicles sold.

The article sings the praises of the Tesla Model 3 as the new green-conscious status vehicle.

It does not mention the Prime, but does claim that the Prius (and other HVs) will continue to decline as consumers are given sexier choices.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume in the US cause thee are other parts of the world where hybrids can still help reduce consumption and emissions.

It’s possible but hybrids won’t go down without a fight. On their side is lower cost (to purchase and to repair - I.e. cheaper battery replacement) and history.

Definitely those that can afford to do so or can charge at home will move towards PHEVs and BEVs as the vehicles of choice.

HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  3. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Batteries continue to get cheaper, smaller, longer lived, and higher energy density. That improves the usefulness of plug in hybrids PHEV and battery electric vehicles BEV. The Prime is a better hybrid than the Prius 4th generation due to the larger battery (which causes other concerns).

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm fine with a hybrid, definitely less complexity, and much more likely to have a spare, less compromises in hatch/trunk room, and so on. I wonder, would this rush to plug-ins ebb, if the incentives and carpool lane status evaporated?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is an overlap:
    • Gen-1 - could go about a mile at speeds of 30 mph or lower after running out of gas.
    • Gen-2 - user initiated PHEV technology and reverse-engineering of EV signal.
    • Gen-3 - came with an EV button and was the basis for the PiP.
    In each case, the vehicle EV capacity slightly increased but always under the control laws. This meant it was possible to engage in driving techniques to exploit the resulting, vehicle efficiency.
    • PiP - based on the Gen-3 and shamelessly copy of early user efforts, a good first attempt. It also brought LiON batteries into the car.
    • Prime - a light-weight but serious plug-in, it at least shows Toyota has some skills. Sad to say, more because they have to rather than embracing the technology.
    Then there is the hydrogen fool cell, money pit. Sad to say, as long as California continues to demand it, resources will evaporate in a technology dead-end. Buyers are voting with their wallets.

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you really think California is a good state to monitor the national trend? I wonder what are the sales of PHEVs, BEVs, and FCEVs in rest of states.

Trollbait, paprius4030 and bisco like this.
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, with the high sales of Prius "hatchback" in California, would the market be getting "saturated"? And with so many on the road they loose the carpool benefits.

I was tempted by the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but with a 40 litre fuel tank it is a city vehicle, and the "true" mileage is about the same on long trips as a non-hybrid model (about 10l/100 km). With frequent fuel stops. I'd buy one if it had an 80 litre tank.

I suspect the Tesla is a "flash in the pan", because once people realize the poor build quality they will drop them. At least that is what I've been reading. ;)

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure, it’s not a matter of if, but when.
    Cali is a nice state, but it’s a big world out there.
    I suspect a longer time horizon than the author, and I don’t have a hidden agenda.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

You might want to check Ebay, sold listings. Discounting those 'selling' their Model 3 reservations, it looks like previous Teslas have depreciated but no worse than any other car.

Source: Tesla: Beyond the Hype | J.D. Power

COSTA MESA, Calif.: 21 March 2017 — Problems associated with Tesla Model S and Model X have little influence on the overt affection owners have for these cars and the brand, according to a J.D. Power report released today titled “Tesla: Beyond the Hype.”

“Tesla owners see themselves as pioneers who enjoy being early adopters of new technology,” said Kathleen Rizk, director, global automotive consulting at J.D. Power. “Spending $100,000 or more on a vehicle that has so many problems usually would have a dramatically negative effect on sales and brand perception. Right now, though, Tesla seems immune from such disenchanted customers.”

“Tesla: Beyond the Hype” is a detailed examination of the brand’s quality issues, based on multiple focus groups of Tesla owners and an in-depth evaluation of Tesla models against competitive vehicles by automotive research experts at J.D. Power.
    . . .

Once upon a time there was similar astonishment by the automotive press about Prius owners. They were aghast that anyone would own the slow, egg shaped, appliance, that made no sense. Teslas street performance and high price has pretty well shutdown those complaints.

In May 2016, a Tesla made less sense than the two plug-in hybrids sitting on our driveway. In nearly two years, we are seeing continued expansion of the SuperCharger and Tesla friendly charging networks. But Huntsville AL to Stillwater OK has a 300 mile segment between Little Rock AR and Tulsa OK that still challenges Tesla range.

We would have to spend at least one, possibly two nights getting a charge at a lower capacity charger. This may change if Walmart gets some Tesla semi-trailer trucks and works to get a network of truck chargers around Rogers AR.

Bob Wilson

#9 bwilson4web, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I still think plug-ins are the prima donnas, and that hybrids of Prius ilk are going to become a lot more ubiquitous. There's giant steps made, going from something like a Civic or Corolla to a hybrid. If the majority of the vehicles just made that step, it'd nearly cut gas use in half.

Every time I roll up to a red light, all the air conditioning off, windows rolled down to enjoy the "fresh" air, surrounded by idling cars and the occasional rumbling diesel truck, I get it.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    California gives free HOV to plug-ins and *not* to hybrids, not to mention generous rebates on purchase. This explains a large part of the sales in Ca.

Plug-in car purchase costs are also cheaper because Ca. mandates plug-in sales by the auto makers, so auto makers have to reduce costs to buyers to sell them.

So California represents the case, if you give enormous incentives and mandates to plug-ins over hybrids, plug-ins can make a dent.

Have I mentioned $7500 federal rebate yet for plug-ins over hybrids?

#11 wjtracy, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With batteries getting smaller and cheaper and hybrids getting "heavier" (more powerful electric systems, not more massive), we should probably just skip straight to plugins.

The jump from my 35MPG conventional car to my 52MPG 2004 Prius hybrid was massive, but not as massive as the jump from the 2004 to the Prime. It's incredibly beneficial to not use gas 95% of the time, and for 3/4 of my miles driven. It means we aren't buying oil from countries that hate us, and that's a big deal to me.

Mark57, HPrimeAdvanced, heiwa and 2 others like this.
  13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [Warning: it would be a much smaller graph, so would have a larger margin of error]

Mississippi would be as close to a pure market driven state.
    No state incentives for any car.
    No HOV lanes in the state, so no advantage to give to allow driving in one.
    No incentives for PV solar (lady in my town is not allowed to even give her excess solar to the city electric co., she has to store it in batteries)
    Cheap gas
    So the Federal tax credit would be the only imposed bias.

rcaine and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The incentives in California skews the market there. But plug in sales are still rising nation wide as hybrids have plateaued.

However, the arrival of cheap mild hybrid systems mean the age of the 'traditional' ICE car is coming to an end. In a generation, people won't bother qualifying if a car without a plug in is a hybrid or not because they all will be to some degree.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'a generation' makes some sense. and in a generation, we are also looking at self driving cars, and potentially less car ownership.

heiwa and Prius Maximus like this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the hybridization of the car fleet will happen sooner. It is the near future when China will only allow a mild hybrid at minimum to be sold there, and Volvo already plans to stop offering a straight ICE by that time. It will take longer in the US because of our gas prices.

While I've seen source material call auto start/stop systems micro-hybrids, I have never seen manufacturer literature refer to it as such. eAssist is a mild hybrid system, that GM never called a hybrid in public, and still doesn't on the Chevy site. Ram refers to their 48V hybrid system as just eTorque.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait for the midlife update to get better hybrid mpg and small improvements to motor and battery (longer EV range)

Mitsubishi Outlander plug-in hybrid gets big powertrain improvements - Autoblog

A number of European cars have start/stop now. I've heard Range Rovers, MBs and BMWs start up when the light turns green.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, basically a requirement because the EU NEDC test spends a quarter of its time idling versus something like 10% for the US EPA testing. It's a lot harder to meet emissions standards when 25% of the time your being penalized for something so easy and proven to do.

19. Digloo2

Digloo2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    AZ only gives HOV plates to vehicles that are 100% alt-fuel, not anything with a hybrid. :(

Maybe that's why Primes sell slowly here and the Toyota incentives are under $1000.

All we get is the federal tax credit.

HPrimeAdvanced and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe hybrids and plug-ins are not a hot growth trend anymore, but it seems that every week I see more and more Prii in parking lots of the places I go regularly. It's also quite normal to see several Prii in traffic both passing and being passed.

As gas gets close to $3 average (it's 2.75 down the street; might have to gas up in couple months haha), maybe saving bucks might be sexier than dumping fuel down a 4 barrel.

Then there's the joke about the Old Bull and the Young Bull........