1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

End of the hybrid era?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Old Bear, May 20, 2018.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'd say you also get low price due to Toyota's need to sell Primes to capture CARB credits due to mandates

But I think AZ is a little like Va. with high car taxes. Difference between buying a Prime in Va. vs. MD is probably up to $5000 less taxes in MD. Tesla Model S we are probably talking at least $20000 less tax in MD/DC

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like my feeling that sales people/dealers don't want to deal or discuss any kind of "electrification". This is parotted by dummies like many in my own extended family, who wouldn't consider an electrified car. They won't even test drive them!! And yes, these are Californians!! Electrified cars need ALL the help they can get to encourage buffoons like these to at least look at EV powered cars. With dorky looking bodies, and a huge amount of techno crap on EV-powered cars, many of these "Conservative" buyers will stay with their Varooom Sleds.
    Notice the bad-mouthing of Tesla, the current EV Pioneer; the TRADITIONALISTS are regaling! Sexy sells cars; electric has to be made sexy; some (hint to Toyota and Honda) are working on it, but it WILL take time!
    Believe me, the oil companies will do what they can to keep electric down; I know, I worked for the SOBs before I went into auto sales. There are electric naysayers everywhere.
    China and Europe are the big hope for electrification; the U.S. will just have to follow! California is trying to force change but yes Mississippi, it is expensive! California HAS to go electric with the HUGE driving population, sprawling landscape, and terrible smog; we have no choice!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The new Chrysler PU has start/stop built in. The alternator has been moved to the drivetrain, is more powerful, and always engaged. Used as a "motor/generator". WHAT A CONCEPT! Too bad it's, what, 15 years late. ;)

I do find the idea that a PHEV is different than a hybrid a little funny. It's just a hybrid with a larger battery with charge capability.
    I don't think hybrids are going away anytime soon. -I- would never buy an EV as an only car. You can't go anywhere interesting because even if "they" build up the charging system, it take time to recharge. Much more time than to refuel a hybrid. Unless of course, gasoline goes away. ;)

As far as the evolution of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, they can "improve" the thing all they want, but until it carries an actually useful amount of gasoline, it's a city car.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some in the US have it too.
    The Fusion got it as an option back when the latest design came out. I don't know how prevalent it is across its trims, but it is standard on all the F150s. The Malibu and Equinox have it. Those are just the models I know for sure.

Start/stop can be done poorly though. I've seen complaints from Europe of some systems killing batteries early, or the battery simply isn't up to the task. So the system may only benefit on the test, and not for the owner.

Can't say about the current cars, but the previous Malibu had start/stop and had a second, deep discharge battery to power accessories while the engine was off.
    The fact that it had no impact on the EPA test is why it took so long to come to here. During the last major CAFE adjustment, start/stop systems got a small credit to a car's MPG figure.
    What, the Ram 1500? That isn't start/stop; it is a full mild hybrid, with some regenerative braking and some torque added to the output at low rpms and starting from a stop.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    don't blame californians - the majority of cars went to the californicating legislator's / municipalities that took money from the hydrogen pushing lobby. If the lobbies (the Johns') pay a prostitute, & they accept the agreed upon price - they are expected to perform.
    The Hydrogen Hoax - The New Atlantis
    Doing what's right, is what's best for them -

#25 hill, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018