1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Display Doesn't Appear to Reflect Reality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gordonr, May 10, 2006.

1. gordonr

gordonr Member

Have others noticed that the MFD energy flow display doesn't always appear to reflect what the car is actually doing? I'm not talking about the 1 - 3 second update delay either. Often I may be in a glide with the energy display without any arrows, 99 mpg on the display and when I come to rest the engine is running. The same thing is true while stopped at an intersection. The engine is clearly running, but the display doesn't seem to reflect that state. On the Prius can the ICE be running solely to keep the engine warmed up without either propelling the car or charging the battery?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many times where the system has decided to keep the ICE spinning even though fuel is not being burned.

If you have to know, like I do, what exactly is happening at any given moment the you need to invest in CAN-View (http://hybridinterfaces.ca). Realize that the Energy screen is a VERY simplified schematic that shows a very complex system. Heck, it only shows one MG when there are actually 2.

FWIW, I think 95% of drivers are satisfied and/or overwhelmed by that amount of information and would want to jump off a cliff if I started talking about Inverter 1 temps when in EV mode in reverse!

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gordonr @ May 11 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]253187[/snapback]</div>
    As you stated clearly, it is the "energy flow display", not a status display. :)

Ken@Japan

4. gordonr

gordonr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 10 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]253230[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. It must be a delicate balance on Toyota's part trying to figure out how much info is appropriate. I know the energy flow display certainly helps me drive the car more efficiently. Now I know it's just a simplified approximation, but I do wish it showed the ICE running in a consistant way. If your at a stoplight and the ICE is running, I doubt it's spinning without using fuel.

It's unfortunate that CAN-View isn't available for the '06 because changes to the MFD broke compatibility. An email from the maker of CAN-View indicated that an '06 version is remotely possible, but a longshot at this point in time.

5. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gordonr @ May 11 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]253469[/snapback]</div>
    My 06 Prius does the same thing. I live 10 miles from work. When I pull into the parking lot (which is on a slight decline) the MFD shows the car in regen mode BUT, the ICE is running. It drives me nuts. How do I really know it the ICE is running or stopped if it's not properly displayed on the MFD? I personally don't think the MFD is programmed correctly.

6. gordonr

gordonr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ May 11 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]253847[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, but in a real sense what difference does it make? I can't imagine I would do anything different if it displayed ICE operation accurately. It just kind of irks you that they didn't get this basic thing right. If this is so obviously wrong, what else might be wrong? As efusco rightfully said, this display is a very simplified view of what is really going on anyways. I don't think Toyota believes anyone should do anything more than just drive the car in a sensible way. The energy display is probably viewed as 80% eye candy (and not very pretty at that) or sort of like an informative screen saver.

(Off the topic of the original post)... Regarding the whole MFD experience (one of my pet peeves)...
    With Nav it's an obvious must, but for me, I'd rather have seen non-Nav Prii without the MFD but at a lower selling price. On balance it doesn't really add much value given the lackluster UI. The MFD AC control drives me crazy, and would much prefer a more traditional set of controls (just getting it to send fresh non-ACed air through the vents took me a while to figure out). The audio UI is also somewhat disjointed with some functions sitting only on the MFD, and some only via traditional buttons and some duplicated. It always struck me as strange that the clock wasn't integrated into the MFD. Other simple things were left out. There is no reason why it couldn't serve as an on-line manual of sorts. For example it could give a simple 15 second valet attendent tutorial on basic car operation. I do think a MFD could add a huge amount of value to a car's UI; IMO Toyota just hasn't gotten there yet.