1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Monitor Arrows do not display

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Amy74, Sep 22, 2014.

1. lonewonderer

lonewonderer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey icy, so yeah I went and brought my car to the dealership today. They told me it might be an electrical problem. And they will charge $360 just to diagnose the electical problem. I said no. Because I still have an extended warranty till Nov 2017 so I said I'll just drive it and see what happens. If it breaks then i have the extended warranty to cover it. Its really weird that the arrows does not show up while the hybrid system indicator display works. And the hybrid battery works fine too.

#21 lonewonderer, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. lonewonderer

lonewonderer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    In for answer.

From what I read they are a handful of forum members who replaced their 12 volts batteries and after the replacement, the arrow display disappeared.

There is a "common denominator".

Dash display setting and steering wheel buttons (operator error) ruled out.

No workshop manual, no hands on experience, so here's just guesses.

a) The battery has electrical connectors on or near it that have been pulled loose.
    b) accidentally grounded the positive cable while removing.
    c) battery volt not with spec.
    d) blown fuse.
    e) perhaps try a re-boot...remove negative battery cable wait five minutes and re-attach.

So here a bump.. good luck in finding the cause and let us know the answer.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have a warranty, why won't the dealer just fix it?

5. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to insist that they fix it, or you will go to a dealership that will. Who's to say this problem will break entirely during the warranty period? It could be months after. This could be an electrical problem with the 12v system, or with the hybrid system, or any number of things. A warranty entitles you to have problems in your car fixed, even if they haven't broken entirely, even if your dealer tries to say no.

6. RXZOOMM

RXZOOMM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any Resolve?
    I have the same issue.
    My battery has not been replaced, however, it was removed for rear end repairs. (Rear-ended)
    I was told it was taken to the dealer to have the high voltage system reactivated after body repairs.
    This all happened in July and I just recently noticed the arrows are not "working" on the display.
    (Rarely look at that display)

7. Polish Prius

Polish Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem with arrows. I am new to this forum and have had my 2011 Prius only since November 2016. I usually drive using the Hybrid monitor or the 1-5 min consumption bar graph but sometimes want to switch to the Energy monitor and my arrows seem to show up while on other days they don't. There is no consistency. I am the second owner, so I don't know if the auxiliary battery has been disconnected or not. I have searched the forum and there seems to be no definite answer to this problem. I drive a European version. It's not really a problem because everything else works fine. The battery is charging. Has anyone found a reason for this strange behaviour?

#27 Polish Prius, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. RXZOOMM

RXZOOMM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still no resolve. I just this minute returned from the dealer and they don't know.
    A tech played with it for two hours.
    They will contact Toyota for assistance on the issue and get back to me.

Polish Prius likes this.
  9. Polish Prius

Polish Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let us know. I am curious too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Ibrahim82

Ibrahim82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today i install a dvd player and after that my arrows get disappear how ever the wheels still rotate....help required...

11. TheMerk

TheMerk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought a CPO 2013 Prius 3 on Friday. Was cycling through the menu and noticed my arrows aren't showing up either, just rolling wheels when my car is in motion.

12. RXZOOMM

RXZOOMM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A follow up to my post above.

Moss Bros Toyota never got back to me. I called my service writer 10 days later... long story short, he dropped the ball.
    The following day he contacted Toyota and reported back to me that they are "unfamiliar with the problem"
    Moss Bros told me to bring the car back so they could have their "expert tech look at it"
    -Really? -They must have had the lot porter work on it the first time. -Not the sharpest tools in the shed-
    Getting this car away from my wife for 1/2 a day is almost impossible and they want me to come back.

I then contacted the tech department at the selling dealer (Longo Toyota in El Monte)
    They got back to me in less than 24 hours.
    Same report... "Unfamiliar with the problem" and they want me to bring it in.

I'll report back if I ever get any information that might actually solve this problem.
    Cheers!

13. TheMerk

TheMerk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just dropped off my 2013 for 50,000 service. While I was dropping it off I mentioned to the service person that the display wasn't showing arrows. She went to get a more experiences tech who had never seen the issue before and asked if he could take it for a spin.

5 minutes later they both came back in and told me the issue is resolved. They showed it to ANOTHER tech who reset SOMETHING in the trunk, they heard clicks and motor noises, and now it's working. I'll report back if it's working when I pick it up after work.

RXZOOMM likes this.
  14. TheMerk

TheMerk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update:

It works! The service rep told me he still doesn't know what the technician did, but my arrows are working, so I'm a happy camper.

To the other people in this thread who cannot get their Toyota dealer to fix the arrows, maybe have them call Camelback Toyota in Phoenix and ask Brian if he can get them more info on the fix :)

RXZOOMM likes this.
  15. RXZOOMM

RXZOOMM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank-you!

16. Joost78

Joost78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just came back from the dealer with same issue. The issue was that previous owner/dealer forgot to reattach the temp sensor on the 12v battery! And the reset the car and it worked like a charm. Hope this helps

aliatcswe and liquidtenmillion like this.
  17. aliatcswe

aliatcswe New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just did a search and cannot find anything links to replacing temperature sensors on a 12 V battery. Do you know where those are located? Thanks!

19. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can you share what you did?

20. aliatcswe

aliatcswe New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model: