1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy monitor screen flashing red

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GMbP, Nov 8, 2015.

1. GMbP

GMbP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I apologize if this has been asked previously, but I searched and could not find any reference to it.
    This has been happening at least once every day now when I am driving in the suburbs at a moderate speed. It happens going uphill and downhill and seems completely random, as I am not doing anything with the other controls.
    The energy monitor screen flashes red all over and there are three short beeps. The words Energy monitor in big letters appear on the energy monitor screen. It lasts less than a second and the performance of the car is not affected. It just gives me a fright.
    The master alarm triangle does not come on on the right side of the top dashboard and I see no error messages anywhere.
    The car seems to be running fine.
    Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It did happen very occasionally in the first nine months of owning the car, but now it is every time I drive it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of it before. is there anything in the manual? if no luck, i would ask the dealer, they may want to check for trouble codes.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Must be something new with the 2015 which has a new display system. I agree, get an appointment to see the dealer, I am sure they will handle it under warranty.

4. GMbP

GMbP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nothing in the manual. I am going to the dealer tomorrow, will post what they say.
    Thank-you.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    What does it do when you 1st start the car? Does it display "energy monitor" in the same way? The way you describe it sounds like its crashing and rebooting. 3 beeps would be either an error code or a boot code. So either an issue with the screen itself or the microprocessor that runs it, or some connection between them.

6. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    take a video of it happening, most dealers can never duplicate the issue but charge for the diagnostic anyway...been there more than once, now I try to fix things myself

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree on a picture or a video of the display when it happens. The dealer service advisers are not always up to date on the latest equipment But I would not worry about trying to fix it yourself and it probably is something with the display or the car's communication network..

8. GMbP

GMbP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I started up the car and I saw that the words ENERGY MONITOR do appear for a second and then go away. As far as I can tell, they look the same when the whole screen turns red.
    I love the idea of a photo or video but it would be impossible. This happens when I am driving and it only lasts about half a second. I could not capture that because I have no idea when it is going to happen and I am driving in traffic.

9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Might have somebody ride next to you and video the screen continuously. Then look at later and find the time.

10. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you have adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance? Could be the red flash & beeping warning you of potential collision ahead. It tends to be more sensitive going uphill in my experience. I have had it go off driving up a hill and somebody cuts in front of me to get to an exit.