1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Screen Flips into Alternate Screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusSport, Nov 18, 2008.

1. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have an 08 Prius with about 3K miles driven. I just noticed today the energy screen (mine is type A) suddenly flipped into another energy screen while I was driving. The new screen had the outside temp across the top instead of the upper RH corner of the normal screen. The engine/battery/wheels diagram was pushed down just below it--everything else the same. Mileage across bottom. After a minute or two, the normal screen returned. And then it flipped again and returned a few minutes later.

Has anybody seen this before? The new screen is not in the manual (not type B).

It was cold this morning--about 39 F. And this is my first cold season. I also don't drive a lot--about 3K miles in 6 months. And I wonder about the battery, though I had already driven about 15 miles before I noticed the screen flip. This was on the return home after parking for about an hour.

I called the dealership about it, and am awaiting a return call.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When the air temperature drops to 37'F, it displays a "snowflake" warning the driver that freezing conditions may exist. Perhaps in the 2008 that's been changed and the temperature is displayed more prominently? I'm just taking a guess here.

3. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That exactly right. I just talked to an 08 Prius owner who works at my dealership, and he says it's normal when the temp drops below 37 F. His '08 does the same screen flip as mine. It's a puzzle to both of us that it's not in the handbook. I mentioned your reply in my phone conversation a few minutes ago.

Thanks.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    people hated the snowflake and complained.. saying it's too bright.. and too annoying.. so.. this being more subtle.