1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy screen question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nuzediter, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Nuzediter

Nuzediter New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 with 134,000. We took it out today and the triangle of death light blinked and "Problem" flashed on the screen. We realized when we were getting close to home, on the energy screen, the car would go from green bars and drastically go down to low blue and purple, then would go back up to high blue bars as fast as it went down. It did it on both a regular road and on the highway.

When we got home, we noticed the oil was low and my husband currently it getting an oil and air filter change. My question: Can low oil affect how the battery is charging or is this a completely separate problem? I would call the dealer but, of course, we're having problems on a Sunday and the service center is closed. Thanks!

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Battery going from full to empty quickly and vice versa is usually a sign that its dying. The dealer will probably charge you $3000+ to replace it, or you can get a refurbished one from $1000-2000. The low oil isn't the cause. However, make sure your 12v battery is good, a dying 12v can cause strange things to happen. If your's hasn't been replaced, its probably about time to have it done anyway.